Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Windows Vista anyone?
- William from NOLA
- Posts: 5172
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
- Location: Metairie, LA
- Contact:
Yea, don't go 64bit. At least not for another few years. Right now, you need 4 gigs of ram to have Vista run as XP would with 2 gigs in 64bit. Plus the fact that very little is written for 64bit right now.
There really isn't much need for Vista over a current XP. But if you were to be just buying a computer, I'm sure you will get Vista no matter what. It's not bad. It's better than XP at least.
There really isn't much need for Vista over a current XP. But if you were to be just buying a computer, I'm sure you will get Vista no matter what. It's not bad. It's better than XP at least.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 
I agree, I'm just throwing it out there. You don't know what you are missing until you actually try it. Considering that Vista was a let down that was rushed to make a deadline, and OSX is always just crappy OSX with a moronic userbase, it doesn't hurt to keep your mind open.Darthness wrote:if you don't play games, listen to music, watch movies (specially dvds, i fucking gave up on linux after i couldn't watch my damn movies on it..fucking opensource.), or do any home-type user things, linux is great. imo, linux currently isn't very suitable (and probably won't be for a while) for home users. while i think linux is great, i deffinitely don't think everyone should use it.
Linux BLOWS for games (for the most part). If you have ATI, your high end card in linux will get it's ass kicked by a low end card in windows, thats just the way it is. Even then, the fact that you can run beryl on a NVIDIA 6100 with all the settings you want with good framerates is nice.
Eventually we will have to make the upgrade, but NOW is a bad idea. Just recently, someone found an exploit to have Vista delete ANY file on your drive remotely, just by listening to a WAV file in Internet explorer.Darthness wrote: i will wait for service packs and shit to start coming out before i switch to vista. its unavoidable unless you don't plan on upgrading your computer.
Not to mention, the drivers so far suck. I'm not saying don't upgrade to vista, I'm saying you should at least wait. While you are waiting, it doesn't hurt to try out something new.
You can use WINE and Cedega, yes, but WINE hasnt even caught up with DX9 yet. Not to mention, if you have an ATI, you are boned (which is why I wont buy ATI anymore)Darthness wrote: like i said, its 100% useless for a regular user to dualboot linux and windows XP JUST to play games. fuck that, just run the game in linux. (its possible one way or another :) )
Some laptops come with a free Vista upgrade. I just bought a laptop and all I have to do is fill out a form. I'm going to keep it until M$ fixes its mess, and I buy a video card with DX10, because without a DX10 card, I really personally have no reason to upgrade.Darthness wrote: another thing with vista is it is new so you can't expect everythign to be 100% compatible yet... i wonder if best buy will still have any cheap XP laptops left when i get my tax return....i know wally world as already gotten rid of XP systems.
Because Linux is free, you have to download codecs. I'm not used to Suse, but usually you just need to install gstreamer plugins. It's not hard once you know.Darthness wrote: although i do want to switch back to linux on my laptop.... i had suse 10.1 (i think?!) on it but switched back to winders cause i wanted to watch a dvd and listen to music.
Yes, you can. You can add songs, get songs, and listen to it. I like it better than itunes, but thats probably because I abhor Apple. You change the background image in a program and the users cream their pants because its a "WHOLE NEW GUI OMG SO COOL WINDOWS SUX COMPARED TO THIS".Darthness wrote: anyone know if you can use an ipod with linux?
On a final note, I am NOT a linux fanboy. I use it, yes, but I know that ALL three OSes have their pluses and minuses (OSX sucking the most). I just want to clear that up. I don't really think theres all that wrong with XP.
well one point that was brought up is 64 bit will encode video faster, interesting since I do that alot... One reason I was wanting vista. Linux, never tried it, always wanted to, I just didn't feel like figuring it out. I have better things to do, like waste my time on that damn mafiabattle.net!
Morel Elate 3-ways ran by a Genesis Series III Dual-mono, Morel Ultimo ran by an Autotek mm3000.1, Alpine DVA-9861
JC's Customs
For all your stereo wants.......
JC's Customs
For all your stereo wants.......
yeah i tried to install all the reccomended shit to get DVDs to play, i finally said fuck it because i really wanted to watch that dvd. I might try ubuntu. windows is getting boring again and i have too much useless shit floating around on this computer. i really want to build a desktop to play with or buy another laptop for linux... i guess i could wait until i get my tax return. but i havn't even got my w2 yet 

- Keith
-
brtnboarder3241
- Senior Member
- Posts: 837
- Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:40 pm
- Location: saint charles, IL
- Contact:
I remember reading somewhere on digg.com about a media distro of ubuntu, that came with all the stuff you needed for DVDs, music, and video. I cant seem to find it, but the new version of ubuntu, which sould be coming out kinda soon, comes with Beryl and a codec suggester.
NVM, i found the media center of Ubuntu
http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-multi ... ution.html
Just remember, whatever you want to do, theres a linux for it.
http://distrowatch.com/
NVM, i found the media center of Ubuntu
http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-multi ... ution.html
Just remember, whatever you want to do, theres a linux for it.
http://distrowatch.com/
-
brtnboarder3241
- Senior Member
- Posts: 837
- Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:40 pm
- Location: saint charles, IL
- Contact:
-
solacedagony
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 2171
- Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
- Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
- Contact:
