Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Windows Vista anyone?

Anything not related or doesnt fit another Forum.
joeyc
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Tulsa

Windows Vista anyone?

Post by joeyc »

k, I know some of you guys did the beta thing for a while....what did you think? I installed it, but no driver were available...er....asus was not supporting vista at that time so I went back to xp. I would like to upgrade because I have the amd64 chip wasting away at 32 bits :p Did you guys notice any speed increase over xp? Also, what are all the different versions, sounds like a money making scam to me! Of course Microsoft would never do something like that....
Morel Elate 3-ways ran by a Genesis Series III Dual-mono, Morel Ultimo ran by an Autotek mm3000.1, Alpine DVA-9861

JC's Customs
For all your stereo wants.......
BryanX33
Senior Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:20 am

Post by BryanX33 »

I have a vista skin for my xp if that counts, and highly doubtful you're going to notice a speed difference in an os. It really depends on your cpu..
Max
Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:46 pm
Location: Montreal

Post by Max »

From what ive read its almost the same as xp just costs you another 150$.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087931,00.asp

Theres reviews on vista at that site if youd like to check it out yourself.
brownbob06
Member
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:36 pm

Post by brownbob06 »

haven't heard good things, that's all I can say...

But I'll still keep windows. I stick with XP for ten years before I switch to Mac...
joeyc
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Tulsa

Post by joeyc »

of course I was using my lackluster knowledge when I assumed that a 64 bit operating system would run faster than a 32 bit operating system when using a 64 bit capable processer....am I right or wrong here? I also am sure that there will be alot more bullshit on vista as well, you know...bells and whistles.
Morel Elate 3-ways ran by a Genesis Series III Dual-mono, Morel Ultimo ran by an Autotek mm3000.1, Alpine DVA-9861

JC's Customs
For all your stereo wants.......
sdlvx
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:12 pm

Post by sdlvx »

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=35 ... pert&pid=5

Read that. You will find vista is 5-20% slower at running DX9 games, because DX10 was re-written, and DX9 and lower has to run in an unimpressive backwards compatibility mode.

If you dont play games, you should just get linux. Ubuntu is easy to get used to, has tons of free software, and you can install beryl. If you don't know what beryl is, you can look it up on youtube. It makes aero and aqua look like shit. (which is ironic, because OSX is just BSD with a fruity window manager and alot of the powerful stuff taken out).

Then of course, theres all the DRM windows Vista has.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6286245.stm

That sums it up. Basically, they want to "plug the analog hole", so, if you enjoy using TV out, or analog output, and you dont have "certified" equipment hooked up, installed, and verified, Vista will lower the quality of the audio.

Vista is a death trap, I would avoid it at all costs. When the time comes, and IF DX10 proves worth something, I would dual boot linux or XP and just Vista just for games.

EDIT: also, 64 versions of windows do not run as fast, and you need special drivers for the 64 bit version.

Image
(image doesn't allow hotlink, please see article)
As you can CLEARLY see, the 32 bit version runs much better than the 64 bit, even with a 64 bit dual core proc. This is because 64 bit is just an extended instruction set, and if the program does not use the extended CPU instructions, it is a waste.

If you still want to read, http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 481,00.asp theres the rest.

Also, I'd like to point out, that finding Vista drivers is hard enough right now. Finding 64 bit vista drivers is going to be even harder.
sdlvx
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:12 pm

Post by sdlvx »

you will only really see improvements with the 64 bit if you are encoding video and doing things like that.
User avatar
OnYrMrk
Posts: 2864
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Moore, Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by OnYrMrk »

Finally another Linux guy...
IASCA Certified SQ Judge
USACi Certified SQ Judge
MECA Certified SQ Judge
2010 USACi Spring Break Jam Modified SQ Champion
Moderator for https://www.facebook.com/groups/524841581331183/
CVD Audio Sales and Acquisitions Team
http://www.cvdaudio.com
Darthness
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Post by Darthness »

if you don't play games, listen to music, watch movies (specially dvds, i fucking gave up on linux after i couldn't watch my damn movies on it..fucking opensource.), or do any home-type user things, linux is great. imo, linux currently isn't very suitable (and probably won't be for a while) for home users. while i think linux is great, i deffinitely don't think everyone should use it.

i will wait for service packs and shit to start coming out before i switch to vista. its unavoidable unless you don't plan on upgrading your computer.

like i said, its 100% useless for a regular user to dualboot linux and windows XP JUST to play games. fuck that, just run the game in linux. (its possible one way or another :) )

another thing with vista is it is new so you can't expect everythign to be 100% compatible yet... i wonder if best buy will still have any cheap XP laptops left when i get my tax return....i know wally world as already gotten rid of XP systems.

although i do want to switch back to linux on my laptop.... i had suse 10.1 (i think?!) on it but switched back to winders cause i wanted to watch a dvd and listen to music.

anyone know if you can use an ipod with linux?
Image
- Keith
Darthness
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Post by Darthness »

also, suse had shitty drivers for my scroll pad. when i would go to scroll, it would fuckin change the page. that screwed me up on tons of online homework assigments.
Image
- Keith
Post Reply