Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Complete System Help
-
Ryan from Ohio
- Posts: 13308
- Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
- Contact:
Well Kiki might be able to help you...
I guess Im not comprehending what your saying.
I guess Im not comprehending what your saying.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
I Need to know how install a Deck, without the use of a wiring harness. I know that i have to find what each colour on the Head UNits wiring means, and also the same for the cars wiring. I can determine the wires ie Remote on, Speaker wires etc, but how do i find the dimmer wire, what is something it has in terms of current/voltage which makes it differ to the other wires. I need to be able to find this wire using a Digital Multi meter.
hmmm, the new cd player should have a harness on the back with all the wires coming out.... speaker/remote/power wire....etc.... and the plug to the factory radio should pull apart from the stock HU. if you do not want to use a wire harness(really your best bet) then you will have to use your cd players manual and the car manual to match the wires up correctly, remember to have your car Completely off and the battery unhooked... as we have said, we are more than glad to help you, just try to be specific to what you need to know and we will do the best we can and steer you in the best direction. :s_thumbup
hehe, thx, scarell your on the right track, but i was wondering if there is a way to do it with the HU manual however not the car wiring manual, however relying on the use of DMM. I dont know how to determin, the dimmer, illumination, ground and power antenna. How would this be done without the use of the car wiring diagram, only the CD Player manual (to determine, Wire colour coding), and a DMM to find the corresponding wires in the car.
i think about 99% of todays car can have an aftermarket CD player installed through the use of an aftermarket wiring harness. unless someonecuts off the factory one. or unless you are installing a CD player in a car before the 80s. and tell me if i am wrong. but the only 3 wires you NEED to get a CD player to work in a car is to hook up the red, yellow, and black. (i think) im sure you dont need 5 wires. what does the dimmer wire do anyways? ive never hooked it up.
oh, and if you want to spend $10 to knowgo here
oh, and if you want to spend $10 to knowgo here
- Chris from Washington
- Posts: 4671
- Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 am
- Location: Washington
- Contact:
I think we all want to know, is the factory harness still in the car? Or has it already been cut off?
If it's still there, go out and get a harness that will plugin to it. That way, when you decide to sell the car, and want to put the original deck back in. You can just unplug it, and plug the factory deck right back into the factory harness.
If the factory harness is already gone, then you will need to find out what all those wires in there are for.
There used to be some websites out there, that had the wire configs listed for different cars, but I can't remember what it was. Kiki might know of one.
Chris.
If it's still there, go out and get a harness that will plugin to it. That way, when you decide to sell the car, and want to put the original deck back in. You can just unplug it, and plug the factory deck right back into the factory harness.
If the factory harness is already gone, then you will need to find out what all those wires in there are for.
There used to be some websites out there, that had the wire configs listed for different cars, but I can't remember what it was. Kiki might know of one.
Chris.
-
Mithrandir
- Senior Member
- Posts: 799
- Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:30 am
-
71buickfreak
- Senior Member
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:35 pm
- Location: Oklahoma
- Contact:
don't cut off the plug. if you do you are retarded. period. Next, no the wires don't just match up from aftermarket to factory wires. you will blow shit up if you do that. guaranteed. if the plug is already cut, you need to seek the help of a quality install prefferably one that has certified installers. they at the least will be able to provide you with a copy of the wiring codes for your car. using your DMM won't get you everything you need to know. Once you have determined mem, ign, and ground, you will need to determine you speakers for that you will need to use the impedance setting on your dmm. you will touch one probe to each wire until you get a reading appx 3-6 ohms (factory shit sucks and is rarely actually 4 ohms!) then you will need a 1.5v battery (aa,aaa, c, d) with wires soldered to the terminals to pop the speaker to determin polarity. you will need to see the speaker. when you pop it, you will see it either push out or pull in. if it pushes out, then you have it in phase and the wire that is connected to the + terminal is the pos wire for that speaker. polarity is crucial for good sound in your car (or anywhere else for that matter (except of course in advanced installs, but I am not getting into that, email me if you want more info) Next, soldering is not any better than crimping, I don't care what anybody says. as long as you use quality crimp caps (butt connectors suck) and a good tool such as Kleins, then it will last forever. most people who solder don't do it right and end up with cold solder joints. By the way, as far as my credentials and why you should trust what I say, I am an MECP certified Product Specialist and Installer. I was a Top-100 Rated Installer in 2002 by Mobile Electronics Magazine, I have written articles for several magazines, was a retail car audio manager for 3 years and I am currently employed by Rockford Fosgate as a designer. I know my shit. NEVER TRUST WIRE COLORS!!!!!!!! no car maker uses the same, even from model to model. Anyway, enjoy your new hobby. Remember, when in doubt, use a proffesional!