Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Street Tuner Challenge humor
You'll see a lot of BS claiming 15-20hp gains from a simple cold air intake or adding a fart cannon, but in reality you'll be lucky to get 5hp from a muffler or other small mods like a cold air intake, especially on a stock or mildly modified motor, and that 5hp will be at a single RPM. Usually any gains you get from things like intake, exhaust, and camshaft modifications don't really result in substantial power (torque) increases, though you'll see a little you're really just moving the powerband higher in the RPM range, which makes the HP look better on a graph.
- GlassWolf
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 6725
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
- Location: Columbia, SC
- Contact:
Saturns.. another one like the Honda civic/accord fans.. grocery getters turned into "sport compacts"
I like saturns, but I wouldn't race one with any seriousness.. hehe
having one of these cars is like dressing up the wife and going out on the town.. she may look fast, but really in the end, it's just a 'spoiler.'
I like saturns, but I wouldn't race one with any seriousness.. hehe
having one of these cars is like dressing up the wife and going out on the town.. she may look fast, but really in the end, it's just a 'spoiler.'

GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
I drive an accord, and its a fats enough grocery getter for me. Should have heard the grocery guy the other day "man the trunks sure are small in these cars" (picture me scratching head wondering if he noticed the big silver amps running all the way across)
Ok back to the subject. If I wanted something to race it would be an old camero (69 or so) or a micro midget.
The pic below is a close friend of mine (3 time national champion)
Ok back to the subject. If I wanted something to race it would be an old camero (69 or so) or a micro midget.
The pic below is a close friend of mine (3 time national champion)
- Attachments
-
- Copy of PICT0012.JPG (62.55 KiB) Viewed 715 times
I completely agree! If it doesn't have a high foot pound of tork, it isn't ment for drag. Me and my dad were having this same discussion the other day. I have a few friends that think hiss Dodge SRT4 is a fast car, but its stock... how fast can it be! If he would put it up agenst a real car, he would think the same way, but that won't ever happen, every time a real car tries, he just laughs, and says no... my guess is that he knows what will happen. He actually says that his brother inlaw out ran a 05 Zo6... the new ones with 500 HP... what do yall think? haha
Oh, and I get a good laugh when you hear something like an angrey bumble bee. Yup, it sounds like they should be flying, but really, they're just trying to take off!
Different strokes for different foalks though, I guess.
Oh, and I get a good laugh when you hear something like an angrey bumble bee. Yup, it sounds like they should be flying, but really, they're just trying to take off!
Different strokes for different foalks though, I guess.
"I drive an accord, and its a fats enough grocery getter for me."
It's not the cars, it's the people. I don't think the manufacturers intend for people to put decals, neon, big coffee can exhaust, body kits, and other "mods" on their cars, at least I'd hope not. It's the people that give the hobby a bad name, and unfortunately it's a hobby that is also very humorous in the process because of the "creative" methods that people take to try to make their car unique. I honestly do think that manufacturers like Honda encouraged this with the methods they use to get performance (little 4 cylinder, rev it really high to get a decent HP number), now everything dating back to a 1978 Accord will end up with a Vtec or Type R emblem on it. It's a similar situation in car audio, it gets a bad reputation because some immature punk cranks it up at 2am in someones neighborhood and wakes their baby up, then there are those like us (or at least many of us) that are into car audio for the purpose of enjoying music, while being respectful to other people. And there are people that build imports tastefully and do it right the first time, but the number of them are limited compared to the people that half ass it, so overall it looks like a joke and gets negative commentary.
It's not the cars, it's the people. I don't think the manufacturers intend for people to put decals, neon, big coffee can exhaust, body kits, and other "mods" on their cars, at least I'd hope not. It's the people that give the hobby a bad name, and unfortunately it's a hobby that is also very humorous in the process because of the "creative" methods that people take to try to make their car unique. I honestly do think that manufacturers like Honda encouraged this with the methods they use to get performance (little 4 cylinder, rev it really high to get a decent HP number), now everything dating back to a 1978 Accord will end up with a Vtec or Type R emblem on it. It's a similar situation in car audio, it gets a bad reputation because some immature punk cranks it up at 2am in someones neighborhood and wakes their baby up, then there are those like us (or at least many of us) that are into car audio for the purpose of enjoying music, while being respectful to other people. And there are people that build imports tastefully and do it right the first time, but the number of them are limited compared to the people that half ass it, so overall it looks like a joke and gets negative commentary.