Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Tires

A Place to Discuss Modifications done to your cars.

Moderators: GlassWolf, William from NOLA

User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

Nice tires, sinister.

But yeah, for winter, you don't really want meaty. I drove with mud terrains on in the winter with my F-150 and it was bad. Real bad.

Here are a couple pic's of the truck with the tires I ran during winter.

Image

Image

I've learned from that mistake. So I slapped tires on the Explorer that meet the winter tire standards.

I sure wish I could roll with some big ass M/T's like the good old days. But not in winter.
dave.
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

both of those I showed are really good winter tires, survived a couple of SD winters and our winters are bad really bad.
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

sinister audio wrote:both of those I showed are really good winter tires, survived a couple of SD winters and our winters are bad really bad.
Yeah, it must get cold there too. Away from any warm coastal winds.

That's why my mud terrains were bad. Because of the cold. The compound of the tires would get as hard as frozen hockey pucks when it got colder then -30 celsius/-22 fahrenheit and performed the same as hockey pucks on ice.

And when it would get below -45 celsius/-49 fahrenheit my mud terrains would mould to the ground when parked for about an hour. So when I would start driving, I would bounce around on misshaped tires until they rounded out again. Which took about a block of driving. haha, it was embarrassing sometimes because it was so loud. boom boom boom thud...
dave.
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

dang this thread is so old, those tires I bought have like 25,000 or 30,000 miles on them already...
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

falkenbd wrote:dang this thread is so old, those tires I bought have like 25,000 or 30,000 miles on them already...
Oh yeah? How much tread left on them?
dave.
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

well mostly pretty good, at least 60-70% except the inner part is worn down a lot because the rear needs an alignment (camber adjustment)
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

That's pretty damn good for 30,000 miles.
dave.
Post Reply