Page 1 of 4

So my garage burned down, with 4 wheeler and mustang inside.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:59 pm
by MobileAudio219
I decided to go out and work on my four wheeler today. I got it from my uncle in unrunning condition a few weeks ago and had a little time so decided to tinker with it... Started it up, ran for about 2 second and back fired creating a little fire... No big deal, grabbed a towel and beat the fire out, well almost...

Towel hit the fuel line running to the tank to the carb knocking it loose, apparently it didnt have a clamp on it... Well that turned the little fire that wasnt a problem into a big problem....

Long story short, by time the fire deptartment got there (2 blocks away) it was cookin pretty good... Garage was about to fall down anyways, it had a good 6 inch lean to the right, but still waiting to hear from the landlord to see if he's going to try and make us pay for it...

Inside the garage was not only the 4 wheeler, but also my mustang... Both are totalled...

The landlord thinks the garage can be fixed pretty easy, but is waiting to hear from the insurance company...

But I did want to ask, am I going to be responsible for paying for the garage? He has insurance, but he said they would only insure it for like 2,500, and that the garage added 20,000 to the vaule of the house... Which I think is BS because it was literly about to fall down... What all am I reliable to pay???

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:07 pm
by MobileAudio219
yeah, I could car less about the car or the 4 wheeler at this point. I do feel bad for burning down the garage, totally my fault, but it was about to fall down anyways. I was talking to my cousin (roomate) a yesterday about taking the car out to my uncles shop to finish it because the garage was pretty iffy...

R.I.P
Image

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:14 pm
by Darthness
damn dude that sucks. hope you don't get dicked.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:19 pm
by NorthQuad
Yeah, I feel for you man. So, I'm assuming you don't have renters insurance. Crap, I hope his insurance covers it without any hassel. Are you any good at carpentry? Sorry about the Stang too man.

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:24 pm
by MobileAudio219
Nope, no renters insurance, we just moved in about 1.5 months ago....

Took the insurance off the car because I wasnt going to put it on the road until the end of summer... Yeah, smart...

He has insurance, but only like 2,500 or 3,500 dollars... He said the garage adds like 20,000 to the vaule of the house, though I dont see how because it was literly about to fall down...

If there wasnt a lean to it, I could fix the damage in a day, but with the lean its really not worth fixing...

The garage is sorta more like a shed, dirt floor, old wood sliding door, wood siding on one side, tin on the other... It was probably 15x20ft... The wiring involved indoor wiring running outside of the house, crosses through the air for about 3ft to the "garage", goes to a switch with controls 4 little light fixtures...

I'll take pictures in the morning...

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:29 pm
by NorthQuad
That was a nice car. Too bad about no insurance. That would be a tough one to take.

20G sounds like a bit much for the shed/garage. I hope he doesn't try to pull some junk. I hope everything works out for you.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:30 am
by cargodz
OUCH!
And yeah the renter's insurance was the first thing I thought of... And I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if his insurance company finds out it's your fault they may go after you to pay for the damages :(

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:38 am
by Ryan from Ohio
He is full of crap $20K for a crap garage with a dirt floor... lmao.

My Unles garage was $42K, his cost- worth every penny too. Thats 2 cars big enough for 3, a bathroom, full upstairs... So $20K for dirt and lenaing, no way. Maybe $2-3K

Anyways, if he has insurance they will probably get in touch with you. Although you may have to sue him.

At any rate its an accident. It was purpose, it wasnt negligence.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:39 am
by MobileAudio219
The "garage" was leaning and about to fall over. I was actually going to move the car out to my uncles this weekend because of the iffy condition of it...

I know it was my fault and will either fix it or tear it down for him, but as far as giving him anywhere near 20,000??? Yeah, thats not going to happen...

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:47 am
by cargodz
I don't think the garage itself is worth $20K... More along the lines of it may bring up the value of the home 20,000 more... Heck for $20K I could have a pole building 30' x 60' w/ 14ft. ceiling, 4 bay doors, insulated, heated, & it's own 200amp electrical box wired.
So for a 2 car (I'm assuming that's what it was), one could be erected for around $4-5K for a nice one.