Page 1 of 2

Speaker Placement

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:31 am
by thebigo
I originally planned to custom mount 5.5in midbass speakers into my doors but I have a serious moisture problem on the inside of my driver door and I don't want to ruin my speakers. Would it sound alright to put the speakers on top of my dash, where the original 4in speakers are (I'm pretty sure I can custom mount them there)? I would also put the tweeters on the pillars. Maybe any other suggestions?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:18 am
by JeremyC
Why not get a set of boat speakers to put in there. Kicker, Boston, and a lot of brands make them.

That or do a set of kicks.

Honestly I would stay away from the dash, the reflection off of the windshield can do screwy things to your FR.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:47 am
by falkenbd
how bad of a moisture problem? can't fix it?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 am
by thebigo
Well I don't know where the moisture is coming from but whenever it gets below freezing i cant open the driver's side door from the inside unless i blast the heat for about 10 min. And I already bought the speakers, so i don't want to buy another pair.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:37 pm
by falkenbd
You might have some bad weatherstripping on the door. Probably the seal that is outside of the window.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:55 pm
by cargodz
falkenbd wrote:You might have some bad weatherstripping on the door. Probably the seal that is outside of the window.
That was the first thing that came to mind to me when he said he had to crank up the heat to get the door open.
And as Jeremy mentioned... You could always build kicks.

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:50 pm
by smoker
xtc acoustic baffles

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:08 pm
by Tim
smoker wrote:xtc acoustic baffles


X2. These baffles are waterproof and you can get them at parts-express.


Tim

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:15 pm
by thebigo
I heard baffles mess up the sound... do i have to cut a hole in the m or something?

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:47 pm
by colemanyoungerinalaska
depends on the speaker but ive used them and had to cut a hole in them