Page 1 of 2
shivas or brahma?
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:52 pm
by armedforglory
well, I have two 12" Kicker SoloBarics, the older round ones.. and a 600w RMS MTX amp. I am planning to upgrade my subs soon, but I am at a loss as to whether or not I should get a single 12 or 15 inch Brahma, or if I should get two 12" Shivas...I don't know which would be better for me...I don't want to spend over 400 dollars either way, which I won't, but if I keep the amp that I have, should I get the 2 Shivas or the single Brahma, and if I should get a Brahma, should I get a 12" or 15" subwoofer?
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:09 pm
by Scarrell
if i was to run one sub, and if i had the room id go for a 15", thats what i did with my Tempest(which you should look into, really amazing subs, gets Plenty loud with maintaing some SQ), i cant comment on the Brahma... William can, since he is running a JBL 600.1 to his. but he also has a vented/tuned box.. two Shiva's would be nice too... i think either way you will be happy with any Adire route... good luck!
Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:45 pm
by William from NOLA
What's your main goal out of it?
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:53 pm
by armedforglory
I want a mix...both SQ and SPL...SQL whatever...really and truly, I can't be a judge of what I want, because you guys would know better, but I'll just tell you what I want, and I hope that you can decipher it!
I have two round 12" solobarics, and as you know, those are meant for SPL, not SQ, but I have them in a sealed box, so they don't do too bad...I like the way they sound, but I wish that they were a little better in SQ...I have heard people rant about the shivas and brahmas SQ, even at full excursion, so if I put one or both in a ported box to boost SPL, will they still sound as good or better than my current setup?
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:41 pm
by Scarrell
id get a single 15" Brahma ported/tuned.. you'd be happy.
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:41 am
by ridr4lif
Yea...definitely go with the brahma ported like scarrell said. Read William from Nola's review in the product review section. That sub is def. the best bet.
TEDD
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:11 pm
by 6three6mafia6
i also vote for brahma, you would probably need to buy a amp to that puts out more power, OR if you keep the one you currently have make sure you a brahma with the right coil configuration , know a big subject about these subs are how much power to give them, you will find many difirent recommendations but i would say give it a minumun of 800 watts if you want it to bump, but i would DEFINENTLY give it more if i could, i just dont like the fact that you buy a sub and give it half its power(even if most of its output is reached like at half) power but my xxx has 800 and it bumps!
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:04 pm
by ridr4lif
But William from Nola only has 600 going to his and he's hitting in the 140's. The brahma can apparently reach high output levels w/o needing a ton of power. But a lot of that is in box design. Sealed generally you want more power and ported you can get away w/ less power.
TEDD
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:52 pm
by William from NOLA
ridr4lif wrote:But William from Nola only has 600 going to his and he's hitting in the 140's. The brahma can apparently reach high output levels w/o needing a ton of power. But a lot of that is in box design. Sealed generally you want more power and ported you can get away w/ less power.
TEDD
This goes for every sub out there, not just the Brahma. :) This is due to mechanical differences in the boxes; sealed boxes have lots of backpressure to keep the sub's cone motion minimum as compared to a "loose" ported box.
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:03 pm
by ridr4lif
Yea i know that. I was just saying bc he seems like a beginner.
TEDD