Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

shivas or brahma?

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
armedforglory
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Pensacola, Florida

shivas or brahma?

Post by armedforglory »

well, I have two 12" Kicker SoloBarics, the older round ones.. and a 600w RMS MTX amp. I am planning to upgrade my subs soon, but I am at a loss as to whether or not I should get a single 12 or 15 inch Brahma, or if I should get two 12" Shivas...I don't know which would be better for me...I don't want to spend over 400 dollars either way, which I won't, but if I keep the amp that I have, should I get the 2 Shivas or the single Brahma, and if I should get a Brahma, should I get a 12" or 15" subwoofer?
Scarrell
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Carmi, Illinois

Post by Scarrell »

if i was to run one sub, and if i had the room id go for a 15", thats what i did with my Tempest(which you should look into, really amazing subs, gets Plenty loud with maintaing some SQ), i cant comment on the Brahma... William can, since he is running a JBL 600.1 to his. but he also has a vented/tuned box.. two Shiva's would be nice too... i think either way you will be happy with any Adire route... good luck!
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

What's your main goal out of it?
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
armedforglory
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:04 pm
Location: Pensacola, Florida

Post by armedforglory »

I want a mix...both SQ and SPL...SQL whatever...really and truly, I can't be a judge of what I want, because you guys would know better, but I'll just tell you what I want, and I hope that you can decipher it!
I have two round 12" solobarics, and as you know, those are meant for SPL, not SQ, but I have them in a sealed box, so they don't do too bad...I like the way they sound, but I wish that they were a little better in SQ...I have heard people rant about the shivas and brahmas SQ, even at full excursion, so if I put one or both in a ported box to boost SPL, will they still sound as good or better than my current setup?
Scarrell
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Carmi, Illinois

Post by Scarrell »

id get a single 15" Brahma ported/tuned.. you'd be happy.
ridr4lif
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:00 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Post by ridr4lif »

Yea...definitely go with the brahma ported like scarrell said. Read William from Nola's review in the product review section. That sub is def. the best bet.
TEDD
6three6mafia6
Senior Member
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 11:00 am

Post by 6three6mafia6 »

i also vote for brahma, you would probably need to buy a amp to that puts out more power, OR if you keep the one you currently have make sure you a brahma with the right coil configuration , know a big subject about these subs are how much power to give them, you will find many difirent recommendations but i would say give it a minumun of 800 watts if you want it to bump, but i would DEFINENTLY give it more if i could, i just dont like the fact that you buy a sub and give it half its power(even if most of its output is reached like at half) power but my xxx has 800 and it bumps!
ridr4lif
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:00 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Post by ridr4lif »

But William from Nola only has 600 going to his and he's hitting in the 140's. The brahma can apparently reach high output levels w/o needing a ton of power. But a lot of that is in box design. Sealed generally you want more power and ported you can get away w/ less power.
TEDD
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

ridr4lif wrote:But William from Nola only has 600 going to his and he's hitting in the 140's. The brahma can apparently reach high output levels w/o needing a ton of power. But a lot of that is in box design. Sealed generally you want more power and ported you can get away w/ less power.
TEDD
This goes for every sub out there, not just the Brahma. :) This is due to mechanical differences in the boxes; sealed boxes have lots of backpressure to keep the sub's cone motion minimum as compared to a "loose" ported box.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
ridr4lif
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:00 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Post by ridr4lif »

Yea i know that. I was just saying bc he seems like a beginner.
TEDD
Post Reply