Page 1 of 4

Anyone ever seen a double din in a Camaro?

Posted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:42 pm
by Chris from Washington
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen a double din in a 3rd gen Camaro (82-92)?

The opening is a 1.5 din, and just wondering if anyone else has seen where someone has modified it to fit a double?

Like to see some pics if anyone knows of any?

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:38 am
by smoker
you can do it, i dont have pics but it can be done, i just recently put a double din in a cadillac that has that same din and a half opening and all i did was make an mdf trim plate that flushed into the opening of the dash and had the cutout for the faceplate, of course you gotta bevel the edges so tthe face will open...

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:40 am
by Chris from Washington
Sweet!
How'd it look?

Even tho I'm no where near to the point of the system, already thinking of what to do :)

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:53 am
by cargodz
We did something similar once on an Oldsmobile with the din+1/2...
Took a double din installation kid and molded it to the cut out dash... that looked good... the kid couldn't even tell we cut the dash, he thought we just glued it on to the dash... sorry no pics of that one either.

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:01 am
by Chris from Washington
Ah man, I want to see pics :)

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:12 am
by cargodz
Chris from Washington wrote:Ah man, I want to see pics :)
well it's not the one that I did, but I did a search for ya, and it is in a camaro.
Image
so now you know it can be done :happy055:

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:10 am
by joeyc
Thats a nice setup in that pic...

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:30 pm
by Chris from Washington
That looks like a 4th Gen.

But from the sounds of it, getting it to fit the opening can be done. Now I'm wondering if a double din, will fit all the way into the dash without hitting something.

The 3rd Gens mount at an angle, and are really close to the floor.
I guess I'll need to get the measurement of whatever unit I want, and see if it will fit all the way in there without hitting the floor.

Sure hope it fits, I've been looking at the Eclipse units, they look pretty nice. Pioneer I think makes a similar unit too.

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:20 am
by cargodz
Yeah it is a 4th Gen pick, but it is a double din where a din+1/2 should be and I thought it might just help boost your imagination for what can be done with yours :)

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:28 am
by Chris from Washington
Oh it does :)