Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Where can I get......
-
visualchaosfx
- Junior Member
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:38 pm
- Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Where can I get......
...... a DVD that details the process on making fiberglass enclosures? I'm lookin to build a fiberglass enclosure to hold 6 15's.
The key is understanding that a "fiberglass" enclosure is fully dependent on a wooden structure. 
From there [and a little basic understanding of structural concepts and the forces of physics at work on the enclosure from the simple force of the cone motion and the not quite as simple forces of the air dynamics inside the enclosure] it's more of an artform, in understanding how to cut your shapes and create your wooden structure in such a way that your fiberglass cloth will be stretched into the shape that you want when you staple it in place before applying resin.
All the basic enclosure construction rules still apply - with regard to the actual speaker location within the vehicle, the structural integrity of the enclosure itself and how that affects performance, etc.
Fortunately, a fiberglass panel that is only 1/4" is pretty much equivalent to a 3/4" piece of MDF or plywood in both rigidity and acoustics.
(I'd personally still recommend 'glassing in some ribs with scrap pieces of matting on the backside, wherever possible)
It's also important to note that resin cures with (and chemically creates) heat - and too much heat actually warps your cured product. So, there's some experience involved in knowing when your initial layup is thick enough to be warp resistant, and your ratio of hardener to epoxy is 'hot' enough to cure, but not too 'hot' to cause warpage.
There are some fun advanced techniques to learn too, that don't involve stretching a base cloth at all, that allow you more artistic flexibility - but even many experienced installers aren't aware of some of them, so my guess is the results you are looking for won't require those.
Select Products makes a brief video on basic fiberglassing that might benefit you - although it focuses more on using fiberglass to create enclosures like a spare tire well mold, where the outer surface is wood - which is a yet again different technique (involving a mold and mold release). If you are serious about doing more than this one-time enclosure, I'd suggest buying it.
From there [and a little basic understanding of structural concepts and the forces of physics at work on the enclosure from the simple force of the cone motion and the not quite as simple forces of the air dynamics inside the enclosure] it's more of an artform, in understanding how to cut your shapes and create your wooden structure in such a way that your fiberglass cloth will be stretched into the shape that you want when you staple it in place before applying resin.
All the basic enclosure construction rules still apply - with regard to the actual speaker location within the vehicle, the structural integrity of the enclosure itself and how that affects performance, etc.
Fortunately, a fiberglass panel that is only 1/4" is pretty much equivalent to a 3/4" piece of MDF or plywood in both rigidity and acoustics.
(I'd personally still recommend 'glassing in some ribs with scrap pieces of matting on the backside, wherever possible)
It's also important to note that resin cures with (and chemically creates) heat - and too much heat actually warps your cured product. So, there's some experience involved in knowing when your initial layup is thick enough to be warp resistant, and your ratio of hardener to epoxy is 'hot' enough to cure, but not too 'hot' to cause warpage.
There are some fun advanced techniques to learn too, that don't involve stretching a base cloth at all, that allow you more artistic flexibility - but even many experienced installers aren't aware of some of them, so my guess is the results you are looking for won't require those.
Select Products makes a brief video on basic fiberglassing that might benefit you - although it focuses more on using fiberglass to create enclosures like a spare tire well mold, where the outer surface is wood - which is a yet again different technique (involving a mold and mold release). If you are serious about doing more than this one-time enclosure, I'd suggest buying it.
-
lancerswimmer89
- Member
- Posts: 65
- Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:53 am
- Location: Clinton Township
15's
Thats a lot of 15's. What kind?
-
visualchaosfx
- Junior Member
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:38 pm
- Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Thanks for the response guys. the12volt.com is a great site. Has a lot to read and stuff.
Thats a lot of 15's. What kind?
I was thinking about using 6 of those Power Acoustik MOFOs but I might do the 6 Fusion NVs or Fusion Powerplants. Haven't decided yet. I've actually ordered an enclosure for the MOFO so I can try it out and see what it sounds like. I'm gonna try and see what dB rating I get with one of those in their.
Thats a lot of 15's. What kind?
I was thinking about using 6 of those Power Acoustik MOFOs but I might do the 6 Fusion NVs or Fusion Powerplants. Haven't decided yet. I've actually ordered an enclosure for the MOFO so I can try it out and see what it sounds like. I'm gonna try and see what dB rating I get with one of those in their.
-
CaptainPioneer
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 3389
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
- Location: Monroe, CT
- Contact:
-
visualchaosfx
- Junior Member
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:38 pm
- Location: Michigan
- Contact:
-
CaptainPioneer
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 3389
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
- Location: Monroe, CT
- Contact:
-
visualchaosfx
- Junior Member
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:38 pm
- Location: Michigan
- Contact:
