Page 1 of 1
fiberglass sub enclosures?
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:51 pm
by lotas
Has anyone ever heard one? I just can't really grasp the idea of using one for daily driving. It seems like a normal MDF sealed or ported box has to be so accurate for a good sound that a fiberglass enclosure must be all for looks and show?
its a shame though, they do take up a lot less space.
but yeah, if anyone has heard one, how'd it sound?
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:13 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
The big thing with enclouse is building them so they dont flex.
THats why we use the wood we do.
Fiberglass is pretty strong and is not as flexible as wood per given thickness. Thats why you can get away with 1/4 or so fiberglass walls compared to 3/4-1 MDF wood.
As for building it accurate its all in the design. Also how accurate you want it to be. There comes a point where you some may say close enough. All depends on your character.
Chow!
Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:42 pm
by Justin from Detroit1
Fiberglass is technically better. 1/2" of fiberglass will be stronger and flex less then 1/2" of MDF.
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:52 pm
by bigbassman
in a functionality standpoint, mdf is about as poor a material you can find for box building... its not airtight, its not stiff, its heavy as hell, and its easy to damage..
but its cheap... and cheap works for most :)
add some resin, and bracing, and you're good to go with it...
fiberglass is an amazing material to work with... very rigid, very airtight, although cost v/s cost.. its much more expensive to use..
because I couldn't afford to build 16 + cuft walls completely out of glass.. I stick to mdf.. however I do make my side panels from fleece, and resin..
I have a feeling my teammate will be in shortly with a few pics of some of the things we've got going on with glass though..
acoustically speaking, as long as its solid, and damped... it'll perform as well as anything else you can build with..
Loyd L.
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:07 pm
by NDMstang65
Welp..here's a bunch of pics of projects that i've been working on the past 2 weeks...

I split the back of it open to make it easier to add layers of resin and mat on the back side of it.
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:09 pm
by NDMstang65
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:11 pm
by NDMstang65

Filling..

Wet sanding with 220 grit and more filling...
This is how it currently sits in primer
More to come in a min...pics of what i'm doing in the 4-Runner's front stage
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:13 pm
by NDMstang65
I love fiberglass :) I can make virtually any shape with it...contour it to anything..and as far as acoutically speaking..it sounds great in my front stage :)
I'll finish the pods hopefully in the next couple weeks and get started on a pimp amp rack...
If you have any questions...feel free to ask
-Nick