Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
fiberglass sub enclosures?
fiberglass sub enclosures?
Has anyone ever heard one? I just can't really grasp the idea of using one for daily driving. It seems like a normal MDF sealed or ported box has to be so accurate for a good sound that a fiberglass enclosure must be all for looks and show?
its a shame though, they do take up a lot less space.
but yeah, if anyone has heard one, how'd it sound?
its a shame though, they do take up a lot less space.
but yeah, if anyone has heard one, how'd it sound?
-
Ryan from Ohio
- Posts: 13308
- Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
- Contact:
The big thing with enclouse is building them so they dont flex.
THats why we use the wood we do.
Fiberglass is pretty strong and is not as flexible as wood per given thickness. Thats why you can get away with 1/4 or so fiberglass walls compared to 3/4-1 MDF wood.
As for building it accurate its all in the design. Also how accurate you want it to be. There comes a point where you some may say close enough. All depends on your character.
Chow!
THats why we use the wood we do.
Fiberglass is pretty strong and is not as flexible as wood per given thickness. Thats why you can get away with 1/4 or so fiberglass walls compared to 3/4-1 MDF wood.
As for building it accurate its all in the design. Also how accurate you want it to be. There comes a point where you some may say close enough. All depends on your character.
Chow!
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
-
Justin from Detroit1
- Junior Member
- Posts: 0
- Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
- Location: Detroit
-
bigbassman
- Member
- Posts: 54
- Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:14 pm
- Location: Dawson, WV
in a functionality standpoint, mdf is about as poor a material you can find for box building... its not airtight, its not stiff, its heavy as hell, and its easy to damage..
but its cheap... and cheap works for most :)
add some resin, and bracing, and you're good to go with it...
fiberglass is an amazing material to work with... very rigid, very airtight, although cost v/s cost.. its much more expensive to use..
because I couldn't afford to build 16 + cuft walls completely out of glass.. I stick to mdf.. however I do make my side panels from fleece, and resin..
I have a feeling my teammate will be in shortly with a few pics of some of the things we've got going on with glass though..
acoustically speaking, as long as its solid, and damped... it'll perform as well as anything else you can build with..
Loyd L.
but its cheap... and cheap works for most :)
add some resin, and bracing, and you're good to go with it...
fiberglass is an amazing material to work with... very rigid, very airtight, although cost v/s cost.. its much more expensive to use..
because I couldn't afford to build 16 + cuft walls completely out of glass.. I stick to mdf.. however I do make my side panels from fleece, and resin..
I have a feeling my teammate will be in shortly with a few pics of some of the things we've got going on with glass though..
acoustically speaking, as long as its solid, and damped... it'll perform as well as anything else you can build with..
Loyd L.
-
NDMstang65
- Junior Member
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:05 pm
- Location: Covington,VA
-
NDMstang65
- Junior Member
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:05 pm
- Location: Covington,VA
-
NDMstang65
- Junior Member
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:05 pm
- Location: Covington,VA
-
NDMstang65
- Junior Member
- Posts: 12
- Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:05 pm
- Location: Covington,VA




I love fiberglass :) I can make virtually any shape with it...contour it to anything..and as far as acoutically speaking..it sounds great in my front stage :)
I'll finish the pods hopefully in the next couple weeks and get started on a pimp amp rack...
If you have any questions...feel free to ask
-Nick













