Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Top spec "12 sub 500w'ish

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
User avatar
chodecz
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:17 pm

Top spec "12 sub 500w'ish

Post by chodecz »

Hi,
Im looking for the best SPL sub (must have gd SQ aswell) around the 500-700W RMS range. I will be powering it using a JL 500/1 amp.
Price isn't really a major issue, but I dont wanna spend the earth, as it's going on a student's system.
I was looking at a RE SE 12" sub??
PLease please any advice.
I would be humbled by the responses of Jonathan or Glasswolf, who I know could get me the best advice im looking for :) .
Jonathan
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Georgia

Post by Jonathan »

What's your budget? I mean, I know the SE is a little under $200, but can you go higher than that?
ridr4lif
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:00 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Post by ridr4lif »

I'd just stick with the RE SE 12". Very good sub for the money.

Another decent SPL sub is the Kicker CompVR. I think they are 500rms.
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

we just installed an SPL212 box that american bass makes into a s10 extended cab and we got 140.5dbs out of it and the 2 subs and box only run 300 bucks so those are pretty good deals. and the RE se is a great sub and can get down pretty good. that should be pretty good power for it too.
User avatar
chodecz
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:17 pm

Post by chodecz »

Jonathan - my budget is about $300, but will stretch if really worthwhile.

I'll be going ported...
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

I can definitely reccomend the SE. It's the best sound quality sub i've installed in my Jeep and it can get damn loud too. Going ported, i'd give it 2.5 cubes tuned to 30-32hz and I think you'll be very happy. The low end is outstanding and the output is suprising for the cost.

I can't reccomend the American Bass subs Devin was talking about as I have no experience with them, but for that price it's kinda hard to beat. I wouldnt mind trying some of those in the future actually. I'd imagine the SE would be a better SQ woofer, but with 2 of those AB subs, you'll probably get louder. That's just my .02.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

when you say an SPL sub, are you going to be competing in SPL events with a one-note wonderbox, burping the system for scores, glory and prizes.. or do you just want something that's loud when you play actual music?
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
User avatar
chodecz
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:17 pm

Post by chodecz »

Loud when I play music. Basically im looking for a nice sounding loud setup that wont break the bank.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

the SE would be a great choice then
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
User avatar
chodecz
Posts: 185
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:17 pm

Post by chodecz »

Um Glasswolf, im designing a system for my sister's b.f, hes on a budget of about $1,000. I've come up with the following...

Headunit: Pioneer Premier deh-p860mp ($250 used)
Front speakers: Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 ($187 new)
Front amp: Zapco 350.2 ($225 used)
Subwoofer: Possibly RE SE "12
Sub amp: JL 500/1 or equivalent

I dont wanna run a too high watt system, because I wanna try and avoid upgrading the stock alternator & battery.

Also, I would consider a good quality 4 channel amp to run both front speakers and sub??? I noticed you had a very nice system in your jeep. Would you take a few moments to advise me on what I should do with this system, for the budget. This would save me hours of searching forums for info.

Many thanks in advance.
Post Reply