Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Help with speakers.
Help with speakers.
Hi, I don't know that much about speakers but I want to upgrade my system.
Here is what I currently know my car has:
AM/FM Stereo CD Player with Clock (4 x 20-watt) w/4 speakers
I was wondering if I replaced the rear deck with new, more powerful speakers, if the volume would increase, or just the sound quality. I want both better quality, and a louder system. I've been planning on buying these speakers.
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/117 ... il.do#tabs
Do you think they will suit my car well, and that they are good speakers (at least for the money)? I'm kind of on a budget.
Here is what I currently know my car has:
AM/FM Stereo CD Player with Clock (4 x 20-watt) w/4 speakers
I was wondering if I replaced the rear deck with new, more powerful speakers, if the volume would increase, or just the sound quality. I want both better quality, and a louder system. I've been planning on buying these speakers.
http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/117 ... il.do#tabs
Do you think they will suit my car well, and that they are good speakers (at least for the money)? I'm kind of on a budget.
Something you should look at is the holes where yer speakers are atm. If they are just round then yer gonna hafta 1) buy boxes for the 6x9s, 2) get mounts for em, or if yer feeling adventerous 3) cut some holes in yer car! I know with my civic, all my speaker mounts are 6"ers, and my rear window slopes too much to fit boxes or mounts in properly. How much are you looking at in buying? Just rear speakers? Or do you plan on getting subwoofers too? Cuz if you get subs, you won't need 6x9s cuz yer subs will do yer bass and a set of 6"/6.5" speakers can do yer mids/highs. Oh, and take a peek at http://www.sonicelectronix.com. They have crazy good prices for car audio. Exact same 6x9s http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3656.html 35$ cheaper.
My car is a 2000 Honda Civic. I was checking these speakers out on circuitcity.com because I would be having someone else install them. The site says that these speakers will fit in my rear deck.
I got the specifications about my current setup from http://automobiles.honda.com/certified/ ... lYear=2000
I don't want a crazy amount of sound, but a little louder, so I can listen to the music while outside of the car, like in a parking lot. And a little bass would be nice.
I got the specifications about my current setup from http://automobiles.honda.com/certified/ ... lYear=2000
I don't want a crazy amount of sound, but a little louder, so I can listen to the music while outside of the car, like in a parking lot. And a little bass would be nice.
If you replaced the rear deck with a decent set of 6x9s then you definately would be getting better bass and depending on what the stock speakers are probably better sound quality. I dunno though cuz my parents 1996 Caravan had a stock CD Player system with Infinity speakers and I swear there were subwoofers in the doors somewhere. That thing put out good sound for a stock vehicle.
It would help if you could find out what the brand/size is of the speakers you want to replace are, and possibly the brand of the deck.
It would help if you could find out what the brand/size is of the speakers you want to replace are, and possibly the brand of the deck.
I would do 6.5s and not 6 by 9s. Oval speakers are not the best design, for SQ, or SPL.
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... d.php?t=46
Check out the bottom of the page.
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... d.php?t=46
Check out the bottom of the page.
well if your wanting to get a little louder, i think you would have to get an aftermarket headunit because stock speakers usually have a higher sensitivity. Meaning they get louder at low power levels IE stock head unit amp. Basically, in my opinion you need to get a different cd player that puts out like 50 x 4 instead of the stock 20 x 4, but then you would probably need to get 4 new speakers to handle the power. Im not sure if those stock speakers will handle 50 watts or not. thats just imo
Morel Elate 3-ways ran by a Genesis Series III Dual-mono, Morel Ultimo ran by an Autotek mm3000.1, Alpine DVA-9861
JC's Customs
For all your stereo wants.......
JC's Customs
For all your stereo wants.......
Ok Joey made 2 points that I want to touch on. First of is the rating that aftermarket decks use for the wattage. Most decks say 40 to 50 watts, in reality its more like 20 to 25 watts RMS. A prerfect example is the Eclipse 8445 and 8455. They are rated at 50 watts max, but RMS is more like 20 to 25.
Second is the use of an aftermarket deck on factory speakers. I have yet to see a factory speaker that didn't sound better and play louder when hooked to a small amp, or an aftermarket headunit. Most factory headunits are only about 10 to 15 watts rms (if that). So putting a new headunit in that doubles the power (say 10 to 20 watts rms) can and will make a diffrence.
On a final note, RMS power normally doesn't blow a speaker. Its the distorted power that people put to a speaker trying to make it seem louder, or hit harder that causes problems. Especially in a factory setup.
Second is the use of an aftermarket deck on factory speakers. I have yet to see a factory speaker that didn't sound better and play louder when hooked to a small amp, or an aftermarket headunit. Most factory headunits are only about 10 to 15 watts rms (if that). So putting a new headunit in that doubles the power (say 10 to 20 watts rms) can and will make a diffrence.
On a final note, RMS power normally doesn't blow a speaker. Its the distorted power that people put to a speaker trying to make it seem louder, or hit harder that causes problems. Especially in a factory setup.