Page 1 of 1

5 1/4" components or 6 1/2" components

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:22 pm
by Never Too Old
Heres the deal I had originally bought Infinity Kappa 50.2cs 5 1/4" component speakers to put in my neon. When I peeled the door off and removed the stock(plastic) speaker I discovered that it would accept a 6 1/2. So, do I just get an adapter plate for the 5 1/4 or do I get a set of 6 1/2 components and maybe mount the 5 1/4's in the back doors.
What ya all think?

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:47 pm
by smoker
id put 6.5's in the front doors and mount the 5.25 set in some kicks, put nothing in the rear except maybe a set of infinite baffle 8's band crossed over at about 75-150 hz and then a sub setup in the trunk crossed at about 60hz

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:00 pm
by dmeyer07
To answer your question yes you can just order adapter plates for them.

http://www.mjmautoinnovations.com/speakeradapters.htm

That is a link to a site that sells them.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:52 pm
by Jonathan
Adaptor plate would work, but you'd get better SQ by making an adapter from MDF or 14 layer birch plywood. It'll damp the sound more.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:47 pm
by Jszar
If you have a use for those 5.25's keep em, if not sell them or exchange them for some 6.5's. More surface area on a speaker is desirable in larger cars, if it's a smaller sedan or 2 door, then 5.25's would probably be fine.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:49 pm
by joeyc
6.5s is what i would go with

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:11 pm
by Ranger SVO
Go with the 6.5" speakers.