Page 1 of 2
New Alternator
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:30 pm
by Livinloud
Well I finally decided to get a HO alternator for my 95 grand prix
I would like a 180-200 amp alternator, but the biggest one ive found is 160 for $210 from mralternator.com
Does anyone know of any other companies with decent prices HO alternators??
Thanks
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:35 pm
by Dustin from Huntsville
Why are you getting an upgraded alternator? 160 amp alternator is more than sufficient for most any practical sound system.
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:42 pm
by Livinloud
I have a stock 105 amp alternator now.....
I meant the biggest one I've found is 160 amp....
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:45 pm
by Dustin from Huntsville
Does your system not perform properly with your current alternator? 160 amp alternator for $210 is pretty cheap and should more than adequately suit your needs if you insist on upgrading your alternator.
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:53 pm
by Livinloud
I got a Kicker 1200.1 runnin to my single 12" DD 9512e
I plan on throwin another 1200.1 on it too.
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:18 pm
by Justin from Detroit1
The most any car can handle under normal operating is about 160 or 180 amps, depending on the car. If you want an alternator higher then that, be prepared to spend big bucks on more then just the alternator.
Your best bet would be find a machinist to make you some brackets to hold on an additional alternator.
ehhh
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:18 am
by Mithrandir
i found an alternator for like $480.00, its 300 amp.
http://nexxon.com/catalog/product_info. ... s_id=48783
Everything is included, if u want a ho alternator id look on that site, they have all kinds
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:05 am
by William from NOLA
I never knew nexxon sold ho alts. That's a good find! Those are good prices (well, to me they are... after spending $575 for a 180A couple years ago)...
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:41 am
by Justin from Detroit1
Woah good deal right there. I wonder why they keep saying the voltage regualtor and stuff is included? Of course it is, it's built into the alternator.
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:42 am
by William from NOLA
Not all alternators include the voltage regulator. I've seen a few that require external ones.