Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

New Alternator

Post all your general car audio questions here.
Livinloud
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:51 pm
Location: Illinois

New Alternator

Post by Livinloud »

Well I finally decided to get a HO alternator for my 95 grand prix

I would like a 180-200 amp alternator, but the biggest one ive found is 160 for $210 from mralternator.com

Does anyone know of any other companies with decent prices HO alternators??

Thanks
Dustin from Huntsville
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1656
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by Dustin from Huntsville »

Why are you getting an upgraded alternator? 160 amp alternator is more than sufficient for most any practical sound system.
Livinloud
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:51 pm
Location: Illinois

Post by Livinloud »

I have a stock 105 amp alternator now.....

I meant the biggest one I've found is 160 amp....
Dustin from Huntsville
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1656
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Post by Dustin from Huntsville »

Does your system not perform properly with your current alternator? 160 amp alternator for $210 is pretty cheap and should more than adequately suit your needs if you insist on upgrading your alternator.
Livinloud
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:51 pm
Location: Illinois

Post by Livinloud »

I got a Kicker 1200.1 runnin to my single 12" DD 9512e

I plan on throwin another 1200.1 on it too.
Justin from Detroit1
Junior Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Detroit

Post by Justin from Detroit1 »

The most any car can handle under normal operating is about 160 or 180 amps, depending on the car. If you want an alternator higher then that, be prepared to spend big bucks on more then just the alternator.

Your best bet would be find a machinist to make you some brackets to hold on an additional alternator.
Mithrandir
Senior Member
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:30 am

ehhh

Post by Mithrandir »

i found an alternator for like $480.00, its 300 amp.

http://nexxon.com/catalog/product_info. ... s_id=48783

Everything is included, if u want a ho alternator id look on that site, they have all kinds
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

I never knew nexxon sold ho alts. That's a good find! Those are good prices (well, to me they are... after spending $575 for a 180A couple years ago)...
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Justin from Detroit1
Junior Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Detroit

Post by Justin from Detroit1 »

Woah good deal right there. I wonder why they keep saying the voltage regualtor and stuff is included? Of course it is, it's built into the alternator.
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

Not all alternators include the voltage regulator. I've seen a few that require external ones.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Post Reply