Page 1 of 1
Gunna try Alpine this time.
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:54 am
by Minorthreat412
I've had a Pioneer for about 18 months now and I blame it for most of the problems I have. I love how i know almost everything there is to know about it, but it's about time to get a new one.
Alpine seems to be a #1 brand when it comes to head units, so I think I'm going to go with them this time around.
Does anyone have any good advice to get one? I'm looking for something cheap. I would love for it to play mp3 CDs. That's basically all I want/need.
Any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:21 am
by Ryan from Ohio
I like alpine Radios when you start getting into the 350+$ range.
Clarion Pro Audio are another good choice.
JVC makes some killer good units when you get around $270 range. IMO the SQ would rival some of Alpines better models, and at half the cost. PLUS you get far more features.
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:37 am
by Minorthreat412
I've had a little bad luck with JVC. My family owns a car dealership and I see cars come and go very often. The one thing I noticed about the JVC's that I've see is that either the display doesn't work or nothing is coming from the HU at all, just the display will come on.
I'm not saying they're bad HU (I'm sure they weren't $270 either), and I'm pretty sure that you know a lot more about this than I do. lol. I just don't want to think about all those dead radios when I decide to buy a new HU.
I'm looking for something around $150 or so. I really don't want a lot of money into something that might get stolen or broken. I guess you could say "I'd like a bulletproof receiver."
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:02 am
by Ryan from Ohio
For $150 you wont get what you want in Alpine, thats for sure.
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:26 am
by sinister audio
get a panasonic mxe off of ebay they are very good for the money.get like a 5401u you should be able to get one of those off of ebay or even a 7401U. i have had very good luck with those decks and you will get everything your looking for and alot more for 150-180 bucks
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:36 am
by Jonathan
What problems do you have with it anyway? Just the overall sound, or what? You're not going to notice some substantial sound quality jump with an upgraded unit, unless it simply has more control via EQs, crossovers, and other processing.
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:51 pm
by GlassWolf
I'm sorry, did you say you wanted good, or you wanted cheap?
I forgot which.
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:43 am
by Minorthreat412
The Pioneer I have is just about the only reason I have to blame for the noise that I get when my subs are hooked up. Here's the forum.
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... ight=noise
I just want a reliable but cheap HU. I loved my pioneer and it was only about $200. I want the equivalent to that Pioneer. Just a new brand.
Basically, if Alpine doesn't get any huge complaints then I'll most likely go with them. Or spend a bit more money and get a Premier.
I just want to trust my radio.
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:45 am
by Minorthreat412
Has anyone seen Wedding Crashers yet? Well, when you do...you'll understand why I always laugh when I see KikiTheCat's Screan Name. lol. I'm sorry. It's just a little funny.
Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:32 am
by William from NOLA
Is the Pioneer still under warranty? I'd send it in before you outright sell it or chuck it.