Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Questions About Pioneer Head Unit

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
Harrison486
Junior Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:41 am

Questions About Pioneer Head Unit

Post by Harrison486 »

Hey guys! What's up?

Anyways, I have a Pioneer DEH-P3500 head unit. I am going to be installing my first sub and amp soon, so I was looking at the manual to look over some of the settings and I am a little confused. I was hoping someone could tell me what these settings actually do, if they are any good, and how I should use them...

NOTE: My sub is a 12" Kicker CompVR and my amp is a Hifonics BX1000D

1)Loudness - It is described as "compensates for defeciencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume" - It has 3 settings: low, medium, and high. To me, it just seems to make my music louder with each increase...

2)EQ-EX - described as "compensates for each equalizer curve" - Once again, when I turn it on, it just seems to make my music louder...

My next question involves which preset EQ I should use. My head unit has 5 preset EQs: Super Bass, Powerful, Natural, Vocal, and Flat. I have been using "Powerful" as it seemed to add some bass to my speakers (I dont have subs installed) and didn't distort too much like super bass. What should I use after I put my sub in?

Thanks!
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

loudness just accentuates bass and treble to make up for inherantly weak speakers or stereo systems. I dislike using loud buttons but it works if you're using a less than ideal speaker system.

eq-ex if I recall just compensates for the average volume level when using an EQ.. it brings the overall volume back to "norm" since EQ settings boost or cut volume at specific points in the frequency spectrum.

EQ presets.. whatever sounds good to you. I prefer to leave that stuff flat. all it does is color the original source material.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Harrison486
Junior Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:41 am

Post by Harrison486 »

Well I have upgraded all four of my sperakers to aftermarket infinitys.

What do you recommend I do? Should I use loudness or Eq-Ex?
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Give it a try and let your ears be the judge...

Personally I wouldnt use the loud, but the eq feature may come in handy, in moderation :)
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

Leave the loudness off. It's a great way to blow those infinities. I use to own the 6500. If you're an SQ guy, the flat eq setting will probably sound best to you, or maybe the custom. I always kept mine on powerful though. Using Super Bass just sounds horrible IMO.
Post Reply