Page 1 of 1

Cleaning a Volume Pot/Encoder

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:17 am
by Fishy
The rotary volume control has gone wacky on my cde-7831 and I would like to see if I can fix it with a bit of electrical cleaner.

How hard is it take apart a faceplate? Has anyone ever tried to clean a pot/encoder like this? I should be getting a new h/u tomorrow and sure would like to give this thing to someone as a gift. It would be nice if I could make the attempt while its still a part of my system.

Oh, whats a good electrical cleaner? I have some Radio Shack stuff somewhere, but can't seem to find it.

thanks

-Fishy

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:59 am
by Ryan from Ohio
I would be very careful with the plastic.

Some of that plastic will crystalize with the cleaner. That happened to me with my motorcycle... :(

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:04 am
by Fishy
Yeah I figured I might have to take the darn thing out of the faceplate. Maybe I'll just leave it alone and sell whoever I give it to on the wonders of remote control operation. That part still works great.

:)

-Fishy