Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Cleaning a Volume Pot/Encoder

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
Fishy
Senior Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Tamarac (Ft. Laud), FL

Cleaning a Volume Pot/Encoder

Post by Fishy »

The rotary volume control has gone wacky on my cde-7831 and I would like to see if I can fix it with a bit of electrical cleaner.

How hard is it take apart a faceplate? Has anyone ever tried to clean a pot/encoder like this? I should be getting a new h/u tomorrow and sure would like to give this thing to someone as a gift. It would be nice if I could make the attempt while its still a part of my system.

Oh, whats a good electrical cleaner? I have some Radio Shack stuff somewhere, but can't seem to find it.

thanks

-Fishy
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

I would be very careful with the plastic.

Some of that plastic will crystalize with the cleaner. That happened to me with my motorcycle... :(
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Fishy
Senior Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Tamarac (Ft. Laud), FL

Post by Fishy »

Yeah I figured I might have to take the darn thing out of the faceplate. Maybe I'll just leave it alone and sell whoever I give it to on the wonders of remote control operation. That part still works great.

:)

-Fishy
Post Reply