Page 4 of 7
Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:06 pm
by High Society
Me too. How long can we keep it????
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:35 am
by Bwcad1
well maybe ill get one you pay for shipping and you 2 can share it! u each get it for 2 weeks!
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:38 am
by Bwcad1
Here call this number ask for joe tell him you got this number from Bill Wolf your looking for a dealer in your area. 1-315-853-5831
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:24 pm
by Scocho
Awesome, thanks. I'll give him a call tomorrow; I had to stay late at work today. On another note- I've heard that for someone like me who listens to mostly rock and metal, it would be better to go with a 10" instead of a 12", that 12"s supposedly get sloppy with double bass. Is there any truth to this? Sorry if that's ridiculous question, I have no idea.
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:49 pm
by Bwcad1
it has been my experiance that there really isnt much of a diffrence in the size of woofers. it seems to me like the size doenst really matter like i said before its all about the box...
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:57 pm
by JeremyC
Scocho wrote: On another note- I've heard that for someone like me who listens to mostly rock and metal, it would be better to go with a 10" instead of a 12", that 12"s supposedly get sloppy with double bass. Is.
No not exactly. A well made 12 can play any type of base, and sound good. But there are some exceptions that have to do with the enginering of the sub. Take for instance a 12W7 or XXX. Both are high excersion subs, and don't sound as good as others at the 70 to 80 herts range, but both are considered SQL subs that do well in about all other areas.
Other than those, and a few other exceptions a well made 12 will do fine for rock, and still have some extra low end if you decide to listen to something else.
Hay since your curious about base responce check out this link. Since you are wanting your subs to be able to reproduce rock style bass in a realistic maner, this might help you out.
http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/s ... php?t=1965
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:00 pm
by smoker
[quote="Scocho"]Awesome, thanks. I'll give him a call tomorrow]
first let me state that i am NOT busting your chops by any means....i just want to point out that this is one the most goofy things i have ever heard....i hear it all the time at work and basically the people that tell you that either have never had quality equipment,or never had anything setup right or underpowered their 12's or ran an amp that was an absolutely terrible sub amp....not all amps are great for subs....one of my better setups was a pair of 12's and a single 15 in a 91 camaro.....slide in cowboys from hell and let er rip.....it would blow your mind you can use 15's if you want just build the right enclosure and give them the power they need.....
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:25 pm
by Scocho
Thanks for the link! I read it, and while I confess that I didn't fully comprehend all of it, I do feel as though I have a better understanding of the significance of the damping factor, and why it's mostly relevant to subs, as opposed to mid-range speakers and tweeters.
However, I'm having some trouble translating the specs of my own amp into the example in the article. The article mentions:
"Usually, a damping factor of greater than 50 is considered adequate, though most high end amplifiers have a damping factor of greater than 200."
Naturally, I'm trying to find where my amp fits in... I found these stats for my amp, from this site (it's the Punch 55.2):
http://www.adelcom.net/Fosgate2ChAmps.htm
Distortion Max (4 ohms): 0.05%
Frequency Respose (+/- 0.5dB): 20Hz - 20kHz
If a damping factor of 200 is the same as saying the internal impedance of the amplifier will never rise above 0.02ohms from 20Hz - 20kHz, does that mean that my amp has a damping factor of: 50, 500, something totally different, or is it impossible to tell from the info I've given?
I apologize if this is straying too much from the original topic, but again, thank you for helping me to get more educated on the subject!
Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:46 pm
by Scocho
smoker wrote:first let me state that i am NOT busting your chops by any means....i just want to point out that this is one the most goofy things i have ever heard....
Hehe, thanks. I felt like an ass for even asking (it sounded pretty dang goofy to me too), but I had to know for sure. Thanks for clearing that one up everyone!
Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:42 pm
by Scocho
Thanks again for Joe's number. After talking with him, I've decided to go with one Comp10 and I'll be using the XS125.4, a 4 channel amp, to power my 6.5"s in the front, and bridge the other 2 channels for the sub. For a box, he suggested just doing a 1 foot cube.