Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Atlas 15s, jbl 1200.1 and an SQL/L box
-
Mithrandir
- Senior Member
- Posts: 799
- Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:30 am
-
Mithrandir
- Senior Member
- Posts: 799
- Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:30 am
- GlassWolf
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 6725
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
- Location: Columbia, SC
- Contact:
if I catch one more person who should know better by now mention using amplifier sensitivity input adjustment as a means of controlling amplifier power, or anything else that isn't specifically setting teh "gain" to match the line voltage, I'm going to drive to somebody's house and replace all of his or her stereo equipment with Soundstorm gear.
gain settings on an amp have literally zero effect on the amplifier's power output.
too much gain, and your amp will clip.
too little gain and the amp will just use the same amount of power to amplify a weaker, noisier signal (thus the volume decrease.)
this is going in the faq section one of these days when my sinus infection goes away and I can hear again, and don't have a headache anymore.
gain settings on an amp have literally zero effect on the amplifier's power output.
too much gain, and your amp will clip.
too little gain and the amp will just use the same amount of power to amplify a weaker, noisier signal (thus the volume decrease.)
this is going in the faq section one of these days when my sinus infection goes away and I can hear again, and don't have a headache anymore.

GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
I don't understand that.
I know its not a good idea to use the gains as a volume control but if reducing them means the amp provides less voltage(output voltage = input voltage * gain) doesn't that also mean it is producing less power?
P = V^2/R
I'd think if there was a limit to a h/u's voltage output and you set the gains low enough you could limit an amplifier's output as well. I guess if you sent the h/u into clipping by maxing the volume control and/or playing a CD recorded at unusually high levels there might be a problem however.
I thought it was pretty simple, but maybe I don't fully understand how a voltage amplifier works.
-Fishy
I know its not a good idea to use the gains as a volume control but if reducing them means the amp provides less voltage(output voltage = input voltage * gain) doesn't that also mean it is producing less power?
P = V^2/R
I'd think if there was a limit to a h/u's voltage output and you set the gains low enough you could limit an amplifier's output as well. I guess if you sent the h/u into clipping by maxing the volume control and/or playing a CD recorded at unusually high levels there might be a problem however.
I thought it was pretty simple, but maybe I don't fully understand how a voltage amplifier works.
-Fishy
-
subfanatic
- Junior Member
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:28 am
- Location: Ky
- Contact:
-
subfanatic
- Junior Member
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:28 am
- Location: Ky
- Contact:
-
Mithrandir
- Senior Member
- Posts: 799
- Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:30 am
yes my jbl 1200.1 is for sale ill let it go for 300 + shipping, if I could afford to go lower I would but sadly I cannot, its still a great amp for that price. Id be very happy to sell it too you, ill test in on my subs to make sure it works if you decide to buy it because I havent had it hooked up in a long time. Im sure it works though.
- GlassWolf
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 6725
- Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
- Location: Columbia, SC
- Contact:
well the input sensitivity setting on an amp (gain is actually a misnomer) simply applies variable impedance to the input line voltage to attenuate the voltage to the ideal level for the input stage of the amplifier.
if you over-attenuate the input voltage, you'll have a very weak signal, which the output stage of the amp is still going to produce the same amount of power trying to amplify. the result is a lower volume (due to the overly attenuated input voltage) being amplified with the same amount of output power. you'll also have a higher noise floor, more distortion, and yes less peak volume.
if the "gin" is set too high, then you get clipping and flattened peaks and troughs on the sine wave input signal, which results in an amplified version of the same thing.. which means DC voltage sent to the speakers.
if you over-attenuate the input voltage, you'll have a very weak signal, which the output stage of the amp is still going to produce the same amount of power trying to amplify. the result is a lower volume (due to the overly attenuated input voltage) being amplified with the same amount of output power. you'll also have a higher noise floor, more distortion, and yes less peak volume.
if the "gin" is set too high, then you get clipping and flattened peaks and troughs on the sine wave input signal, which results in an amplified version of the same thing.. which means DC voltage sent to the speakers.

GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator