Page 3 of 7

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:02 am
by smoker
Darthness wrote:i skipped most of the thread.. but i don't smoke my sefl, and personally, i dislike smoking - why? waste of money, you're buying cancer and other stuff, and the smell is disgusting, on top of that, it affects everyon earound you, specially those that don't smoke.

I usually can tolerate it, but i can't stand the smell. alot of the times it gives me a headache. Now, in my opinion, quitting a bowling leauge (you're not going to like this) simply because you can't smoke is a DUMB reason. sorry for that, but its true. once again, in my opinoin, that's a sign of a redicioulous addiction. enough ripping you :P but in all fairness, i do disagree wwith a state-wide ban on smoking is a dumb idea. It the business owners should be able to choose. On the other hand, when i walk into a restuarant because a bunch of people are smoking on cancer sticks, and i get a headache and lung cancer from second hand smoke, that is kind of an infringement on my rights.

:)


i dont think its a dumb reason at all.......part of going bowling or going to a bar is to relax and have a good time and for people who enjoy cigarettes that is part of the relaxation......it is not an infringement on your rights because you can choose not to go into the restaraunt or bowling alley or bar because you dont smoke as easily as anyone who smokes can choose not to because they cant......

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:01 am
by solacedagony
I am strongly against cigarettes or tobacco in any form, personally. I do understand that a lot of people have jobs in the tobacco industry and this country was partly founded on tobacco. They used to grow it in the streets, even.
If you want to smoke or chew (my dad always has a wad of snuff in his lip), that's your choice.
I live in NJ and they have implemented a state-wide public smoking ban also.
I do feel the ban is wrong specifically for bars, bowling alleys and the like since a lot of people aren't going to go there now and they WILL lose business and potentially close down.
It's lose-lose situation in any case. Smokers can't smoke so they won't go places to hang out now. Non-smokers can go there with no bother, however, they can't if there's no business left.
I just felt like rambling. Thank you.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:14 am
by Bwcad1
remember we voted for it. somone didnt just tell us we couldnt do it ;)

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:51 am
by GlassWolf
I could write a long, and rather detailed reply about the absurdity of smokers' rights and their advocates, but I'll simply leave it at this:
Every state with no smoking policies has done just fine without these claimed massive losses in business. Smoking is a permeating, unsanitary, and unhealthy addiction and the farther we can remove ourselves from it, the better I believe society will be. I won't even go into the issues involving children, infants, or pregnant mothers who smoke, and the problems therein.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:58 am
by smoker
I could write a long, and rather detailed reply about the absurdity of smokers' rights and their advocates, but I'll simply leave it at this:
if they wanted to crush your car youd feel differently


btw im surprised you didnt write a long reply

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:21 am
by JASON96R
I don't smoke, used to but quit, and trully feel banning smoking in a place like a bar is pretty stupid. When I smoked I always told people that I was a smoker in a non-smoking world, so I completely avoided smoking around children and anyone else I knew was a non-smoker. This to me is a law passed for people with little to no common sense. If you don't want you and your family to be around an environment with smoking, don't go to a biker bar for dinner and complain about people smoking. If you don't like smoking leave the area, it is as simple as that. It's funny people are constantly harping about civil liberties but when it comes to big business, tobacco corp, or firearms those civil liberties don't count.

BTW, I make .15cents more than min. wage and voted no to the min. wage ammendment. Min. wage is min. wage when that goes up the price of everything goes up. It really doesn't help the people making min. wage much, lock yourself into any bills you may have in the future now, and the real people it hurts is people that make say $12.00/hr if their employer does not raise their wages to compensate. If the employer does not raise the salaries to compensate for the min. wage raise, it will decrease the buying power for those individuals.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:46 am
by Bwcad1
y dont more people understand that ^

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:15 am
by brisgreat1
i just read this topic and its actually really interesting, i think the decision to completely ban tobacco use in a state is completely ridicule. It's in a way similar to the alcohol ban that happened in the early 1900's, I don't think this is going to stop people from smoking. There are better ways to approach smoking and how to help people quit, banning it from public use is not one of them. I think eventually this is going to be lifted, just too much too soon, too many people smoke today, too drastic of an immediate change.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:43 am
by GlassWolf
Bwcad1 wrote:y dont more people understand that ^
I love the self-centered and thoughtless response of "If you don't like it, go away."
I spent a good number of years around a guy who was a total ass about smoker's rights, and pretty much lit up everywhere he could to irritate people as often as possible.
He used the same excuse, and it made for a lot of unpleasant meals, car trips, and so forth. You have to understand that what you're doing is directly affecting others. Your civil liberties end where mine start, and polluting my air is a violation of MY freedom to breathe clean air. I don't always have the option of walking out and going somewhere else. The notion of biker bars is cute, but in reality with current laws in place requiring establishments with a liquor license to serve a percentage of food per drink becoming commonplace, most bars ARE resteraunts these days, and have to be to maintain their license to sell booze.

These laws are nothing at all like prohibition. Prohibition outlawed any and all consumption of alcohol. These smoking bans are more like current alcohol laws, allowing it only in your own home, or designated places like tobacco shops. I fully agree with these laws. Leave it in your home. Hell I don't think smoking while driving should be legal. It's far too distracting and the cause of a fair number of accidents. Not unlike trying to watch DVDs while driving, except if you drop a DVD it won't burn a hold in your leg.

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:51 am
by Bwcad1
maybe i should clarify i was agreeing with his thoughts on min wage. y are you quoting me?