Page 3 of 4

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 am
by NorthQuad
Haha! Which is funny because I'm getting new tires today.

I'm going through the Fountain Tire here in town. Almost went through tirerack but after comparing prices, it was a $100 difference. So, I'd prefer the local guys.

I'm going with four of these Goodyear Fortera TripleTred Tires in a 255/70/16 which is stepping up in size from the 235/70/16 that came on the Explorer.

On the Explorer stock 16" rims at stock height you can fit all the way up to 275/75/16 without rubbing, unless the tires are a mud terrain with big lugs. Then you'd want to go with a 265/70/16 to be safe.

I'll post some shots of before and after when I gett'em on.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:14 pm
by NorthQuad
Not a huge difference but enough for me.

Before

Image

After

Image

Before

Image

After

Image

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:34 pm
by Tim
nice difference. Like those tires alot.

Tim

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:56 pm
by NorthQuad
Thanks, Tim. They should be great for winter conditions.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:04 pm
by Tim
yeah they should, they look pretty meaty!! lol

tim

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:29 pm
by NorthQuad
Guess what? They rub a tiny bit on the inside of the fender when the steering is fully cranked. Hardly at all and not enough to pull off the fender but enough to hear it. I guess I was wrong to listen to others (without knowing them) that have mounted larger tires on their Explorers. Because they're full of shit. At least I listened to my gut when it said not to get the 265's.

I'm still happy with these tires though.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:25 pm
by MobileAudio219
They look good.

What works on one truck might not work on another.

Here's a couple RBV (ranger based vehicles) forums. :D

http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/

http://explorerx.com/forums/

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:32 pm
by NorthQuad
Sweet! Thanks, Mobile.

I'm a member at explorerforum and have posted the pictures there as well. Telling them about the rubbing too.

I'll hit the other forums and post the same.

Can't have enough favorite sites.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:20 pm
by NorthQuad
I just basically copied and pasted the same info in those Ranger/Explorer forums.

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:47 pm
by sinister audio
those arn't meaty tires here is what I have on my pick up

Image

and here is what on my yukon

Image