Page 2 of 3

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:16 am
by solacedagony
Yea, if you're not looking for "extreme SPL", then there's not much point in getting two subs. You can save money and amp overhead by going with one.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:54 am
by Darthness
yeah, just go with 1 12 or 1 15. i'm not sure i'd be able to sit in my truck if i had 2 15s (and 2 1400.1 and both subs in the same box)... i'm pretty sure that wouldn't be safe for me :-p.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:24 am
by Bwcad1
1 15q Ftw!

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:33 am
by Fishy
I've already got the amps and was hoping to run them both at 4 ohms into a pair of "small" subs in a ported enclosure.

There's a couple of reasons why, with looks being paramount. I'm big into a "stealthy" install and unfortunately a 15 would just stick out too much. My job requires that I carry quite a bit of junk in the back(tool bags and boxes, fishing rods and tackle, etc.) as well.

Speaking of work. I've got to hit the road. I appreciate the replies. I'll be back later tonight.

Thanks guys.

-Fishy

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:02 am
by Bwcad1
So go with a single 12 then and since you have 2 amps just put an amp on each coil. just remember to gain match. i guess i don't really understand this. 2 12's is gonna take up more room than a single 15.

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:52 pm
by subster87
yeah an 18 is out of the question for stealthy lol... um the 15 would stick out just as much As TWO 12s two twelves will need the same size box as 1 15 and they would stick out possibly worse in a stealth install

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:13 am
by GlassWolf
mine is sealed. I built mine into the spare tire well in my car.
the Q is ideal for a small sealed enclosure, if you look at the specs.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:17 pm
by Fishy
Finally have a day off tomorrow. Think I'll unload everything, take some measurements, and see if I can design a couple enclosures. The good thing about a pair of smaller subs as opposed to one big one is that I can stretch the enclosure the full length of the back of the rear seats for a more seamless install. Maybe the OCD is kickin in a bit too much, but thats what I had in my old truck:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 5_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 7_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_im ... 8_full.jpg

Was hoping for something similar. For long trips where cargo space is at a premium I've got a 10w3v3 stealthbox on order which will go on the other side of the 2003:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stea ... it_id=1381

I guess what I'm really looking for a pair of 10" SQ subs that do well ported or a pair of 12's that do well sealed, either with about 300 watts @ 4 ohms or 500 @ 2 ohms each. The extra volume required for ported 10's actually helps being able to "stretch" the box.

Shallow mounting depth is a plus as well. Was thinking of maybe a pair of IDQ 12's, but am not impressed with the power handling capability of the IDQ 10 I own. Kodas are an option too, but I'm not at all familiar with Adire's new line up. Then there's Ascendant Audio... nothing seems to be available there. A lot of things have changed over the past year or so. :)

One factor I may be leaving out is the importance of these subs matching up well with the Seas components. Gotta play well to at least 80 Hz as I don't plan on messing with dedicated midbass drivers this time around.

Thanks guys, for helping me get back up to speed on this stuff.

-Fishy

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:31 pm
by Jonathan
Probably the best sealed box sub I can think of would be the JBL Gti if you could find one. DDD technology is fantastic, long linear excursion and extremely low inductance. But you'd have to get past those quirky dual 6 ohm coils and the mounting depth. Those Audisons could power two W10Gtis pretty well.

Ported...there are plenty really. I wouldn't go with the W3v3s ported, they're more inclined to sealed boxes with the design, as are the W6v2s. JL's newer subs are designed mainly with smaller sealed boxes in mind.

The Peerless XXLS subs are well inclined to ported boxes and spec-wise are pretty similar to the W5s you were accustomed to, as well as having far more linear output and lower distortion in general. Great subs.

I wouldn't really recommend the IDQ with so many newer designs bettering them for the money.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:31 pm
by Fishy
Thanks a lot Jonathan.

I'm most inclined to go with a ported specific 10" sub. I'll have to take a look at the Peerless XXLS, but I'll keep the JBL's in mind. Seems these days its all about cramming the most woofer in the smallest amount of space. With the gobs of inexpensive power that is available compared to 20 years ago that makes sense, but I think something may have gotten lost in the translation. There's elegance to be found in any efficient system, car audio or otherwise.

:)

-Fishy