Page 2 of 5
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:57 am
by swimmerdude
LOL, no! Not even close to a 426!! The Challenger when it comes out is supposed to have an option for a 396 racing HEMI, that should be sweet!!
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:08 am
by CaptainPioneer
No the new srt 8f is just a modded version of the New Hemi they put out... IMO it wasnt a bad attempt... But im telling u thats Viper just makes u want to cream every time you step on the gas., 72mph in 2nd gear!!!
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:09 am
by CaptainPioneer
I was going to Buy a 68 sattelite police edition with a 440 in it.... amazing car it was soo cool saw it at Mopar Nats and begged my rents to let me buy it... but no Dice so oh well.
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:28 am
by MobileAudio219
I drove the hemi trucks before, not overly fast at all... I'd take a lightning, syclone or typhoon over one any day off the week... Heck, I'd take a cummins over the hemi, only a few grand more and they get better MPG, not to mention the resale value. :happy055:
Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:59 am
by GlassWolf
lightnings are old news and overrated.. the cyclones etc are really pretty useless from a utility standpoint.
built for "performance" with no real function (read low end torque, load capacity, etc like a truck should have) but the cummins would be nice.. especially with a bit of work. (chipped, better in/out airflow, larger injectors etc)
the challenger is spec'ed to include a 425HP version of the current Hemi which is a 5.7L as I recall, or a 350cid.
The 426 hemi is only sold now as a crate engine, and it retails in catalogs, without belts, accessories, etc.. just the bare engine, for about $13,000 directly from mopar performance. You can get a 528 hemi crate motor for an additional $3,000.
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:48 pm
by Jonathan
Challenger gets the 6.1L 425hp Hemi. Should be badass.
Any truck is going to be a boat anchor compared to a performance car. Personally I think the full size truck market is stupid, but I guess if they're selling they're doing something right. People don't use trucks like they're intended anymore anyway, I guess it can't hurt. Ford is supposed to be coming out with a 6.1L engine focused on power, and it's supposed to debut in the F-150. Hopefully it'll make it into the Mustang *crosses fingers*.
I'd like to see the performance car market replicate the late 80s/90s moreso than it does now, but with the EPA it'd be difficult. Something like the 5.0L Mustangs and F-bodies, with a huge amount of cheap aftermarket parts available and enormous power potential. I think the main reason people even bother with imports is due to the huge aftermarket support. That or they're just stupid, IDK

Give me a 5.0L mustang anyday. With a stroker kit and some intelligent induction engineering I'll be making 500hp on crap gas without a turbo or a supercharger.
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:52 pm
by joeyc
Jonathan wrote:Personally I think the full size truck market is stupid, but I guess if they're selling they're doing something right. People don't use trucks like they're intended anymore anyway, I guess it can't hurt.
You haven't seen the bed of my truck!
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:26 pm
by Jonathan
To clarify the above, I meant that the full size *performance* truck market is stupid.
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:42 pm
by MobileAudio219
I love the sound of the late 80's 5.0 stangs... I still think that fox body - present mustangs are some of the best sounding cars out there.
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:51 pm
by Jonathan
Stroke it to 347, put some AFR heads on it, Edelbrock intake with a Barry Grant carb, Hooker Super Comp headers and your muffler of choice. Does the ears good

. And, of course, a monster cam to top it off. I prefer Comp Cams myself, the XE Rollers are pretty wicked on a 5.0