Page 2 of 3
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:07 pm
by GlassWolf
if at first you can't fit it.. use a rotary tool and a cutting wheel, or an air-nibbler!!!
Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:45 pm
by geolemon
Or, simpler and less painful-
...build an MDF spacer ring. I end up having to do this for more cars than not.. and since speaker baskets reduce in diameter pretty quickly moving toward the magnet, it basically removes any concerns about "mounting diameter" and "mounting depth" in one fell swoop, too.
Your only concern in that case, is whether the speaker grille in front of the speaker can clear an extra 1/2" or 3/4" (whatever wood thickness you use for the rings).

Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:05 am
by GlassWolf
yup
that turns into an issue with some GMs, a lot of imports with really thin doors, etc.. but most times it works just fine.
I was half joking about slicing up the door. Most people don't own an air nibbler anyway haha
Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:32 am
by William from NOLA
haha, half joking
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:53 am
by geolemon
Hey, here's all the regard for my door integrity:
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/Lin ... source.htm
Sawzall anyone?
I miss that little truck.

Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:56 am
by sinister audio
a plasma cutter works pretty good too. jk you want to use that.
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:04 am
by Jonathan
I may do that to mine (it was free, I don't feel guilty

). What kind of truck was that?
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:27 pm
by GlassWolf
actually you can buy a small 40A portable plasma cutter now for about $400.
I've been considering it myself.
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:36 pm
by sinister audio
that wouldnt be too bad for this kind of stuff if your careful. only thing that sucks about plasma cutters is the consumables.
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:31 pm
by geolemon
That was my old Nissan minitruck I had...
Around here, with the snow and salt, you have a "nice car" and a "Winter beater". That truck was my winter beater... but also a nice utility vehicle, and pretty decently cool - I had it lowered over 5"... the rear spring shackles were low enough to the ground that certain driveway entrances you had to punch the throttle a little bit so you could bounce the shackles over the driveway and not get hung up...
Eventually it started to get a little rusty, so I got rid of it. It was a 1990 model, a pretty popular body style with the minitruck crowd.
I picked up a Pathfinder to replace it, since that truck was so good to me (AND since I managed to find a 2 wheel drive one, with a manual tranny - rare!) - I'm not half as happy with the Pathfinder unfortunately.
