Page 2 of 3

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:02 pm
by Harrison486
Although I don't have my installed yet... Mine is already installed into a 1.25 in^3 sealed box. I know it is probably not the idealistic box, but we will see how it sounds.. Hopefullly, when I get some more moeny, I can get seomeone to build me a decent ported box..

OT: I sent a quote to your website sprkman, but I got no reply

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:10 pm
by spkrman
Harrison486 wrote:Although I don't have my installed yet... Mine is already installed into a 1.25 in^3 sealed box. I know it is probably not the idealistic box, but we will see how it sounds.. Hopefullly, when I get some more moeny, I can get seomeone to build me a decent ported box..

OT: I sent a quote to your website sprkman, but I got no reply
actually, sealed wise.. thats a pretty good size.

Really? I had some script issues a few weeks ago, everything is kosher now. If you could resend that would be great :)

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:32 pm
by kevinberry1
spkrman wrote:yea, they dont like less than 2 cubes and must be tuned very low to sound decent.

They just aren't much of an SQ sub IMO, but they do get loud.

I'd suggest doing one 12 in a good ported box... you'll gain all around :)
Do you think it would be louder than my 2 12's in their current sealed box?

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:36 pm
by spkrman
kevinberry1 wrote:Do you think it would be louder than my 2 12's in their current sealed box?
yes :)

been there, tested it already!

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:09 pm
by kevinberry1
Now you have me thinking of a way to build a new slot-ported box. I did some quick calculations and I could easily build one that is 1.9 cubic ft per side including driver displacement and baffle. I will have to explore further how to get an additional .2 or .3 cubic feet per side to get to at least 2.0 cubic feet and account for bracing. Hmm........

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:01 pm
by William from NOLA
3 cubes and under is really too small for a slot port box. You end up using so much space for the port, that you lose a good bit of volume. I would just use a square/rectangular or round.

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:19 pm
by ridr4lif
^^ True that ^^

My 2.25 cu.ft. box for my SINGLE 10" L7 is 29" wide, 12.75" tall, and 16.5" deep.

TEDD

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:10 pm
by spkrman
William from NOLA wrote:3 cubes and under is really too small for a slot port box. You end up using so much space for the port, that you lose a good bit of volume. I would just use a square/rectangular or round.
too small for ported anyway...

they will hate that box :)

+... you go too big you choke air into the cabin and then thats that.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:10 pm
by kevinberry1
William from NOLA wrote:3 cubes and under is really too small for a slot port box. You end up using so much space for the port, that you lose a good bit of volume. I would just use a square/rectangular or round.
I have been using the tech manual on Kicker's website and they do recommend at least 1.75 cubic feet plus the port area for one 12" comp vr. They also do not recommend using round or rectangular ports (not sure why).

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:12 pm
by William from NOLA
F them. :)

There is no reason why you cannot. They might be trying to get people away from prefab boxes that being the only reason I can see.