Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Making my fuel higher octane?

A Place to Discuss Modifications done to your cars.

Moderators: GlassWolf, William from NOLA

Astaldoath
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:43 am

Making my fuel higher octane?

Post by Astaldoath »

Anyone have any cheap ways of doing this. I plan on adding a cold air intake (yes its actually cold air) and a smaller supercharger pulley to my 07 grand prix gt. I will need higher octane gas ( i assume) and possibly to adjust my ignition timing to prevert knocking. Just lookin for some advice before i do this. Im also thinking of getting a 75 hp dry nos system but only after i get more cash.
User avatar
brent
Senior Member
Posts: 626
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:32 pm
Location: Oklahoma

Post by brent »

You should not need higher octane fuel, not with that motor. I may be wrong. If you want to increase octane just go to your local parts shop and pick up a can of octane booster. I think you can get as much as a 6 point boost from the different manufacturers. Combine that with a 91 or 93 octane fuel and you should be set. Before doing this I reccomend consulting other sources as well, could cause damage.
Darthness
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Post by Darthness »

avoid dry N2O systems. go for direct port (i think thats what it is called) or wet.
Image
- Keith
cargodz
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4771
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:21 am
Location: NW Ohio
Contact:

Post by cargodz »

Darthness wrote:avoid dry N2O systems. go for direct port (i think thats what it is called) or wet.
For your supercharged motor Keith would be correct... You're gonna want to go with a "wet" system and as for your octane, if you're running premium (93) then you won't need to have an additional octane booster.
One thing that I would definately recommend is that you change your oil to something better... I would say Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Lucas... Also you'll want to look at upgrading your wires (to 8mm) and probably better plugs if you haven't already.
-Michael
http://www.teamcargodzinc.com :thumbsup
Hear It, See It, Feel It, Punch It!
And Proud Sponsor of
Team Wolf Pack Audio
Authorized Dealer
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

A super charge pulley?

I know Fast Forward Performance makes "Under Drive" pulley's.

Basically it spins your accessories slower, making less drag on the crank.

Maybe a cold air intake and leave it be :)
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Post by CaptainPioneer »

^^ I agree... If you put a new pully on the car you could mess up a couple timing/crank/firing issues. Just do the Cold air and if you think u need more run a forced air tube and do a forced cold air induction. That will give u a couple HP
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

u have to becareful switching plugs with a superchager get the wrong temp and bad things happen.
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Astaldoath
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:43 am

Post by Astaldoath »

cargodz wrote:For your supercharged motor Keith would be correct... You're gonna want to go with a "wet" system and as for your octane, if you're running premium (93) then you won't need to have an additional octane booster.
One thing that I would definately recommend is that you change your oil to something better... I would say Royal Purple, Amsoil, or Lucas... Also you'll want to look at upgrading your wires (to 8mm) and probably better plugs if you haven't already.
Ok, I heard a dry nos system is safer. That is also the kit 3800performance.com sells. Im running 92 octane, so 93 will probably be the most I need until later when i put in a camshaft, ls6 springs and all this other crap they sell :D , possibly a turbo :D . Im gonna get some copper core spark plugs i think they have 3 heat ranges.

The reason I was asking about higher octane fuel was because they say anything smaller than a 3.5 pulley (3.8 is stock) and proper measures have to be taken to keep knock retard down. They dont elaborate on this. I spoke to one of the guys at 3800performance.com and he said dont run anything more than a 3.5 pulley on a stock motor. Im guessing its either because of boost levels being to much or because you will need to advance your timing/run higher octane.
Astaldoath
Junior Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:43 am

Post by Astaldoath »

CaptainPioneer wrote:^^ I agree... If you put a new pully on the car you could mess up a couple timing/crank/firing issues. Just do the Cold air and if you think u need more run a forced air tube and do a forced cold air induction. That will give u a couple HP
Thats why i think they are saying dont run a pulley under 3.5.
cargodz
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4771
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:21 am
Location: NW Ohio
Contact:

Post by cargodz »

Astaldoath wrote:Ok, I heard a dry nos system is safer. That is also the kit 3800performance.com sells. Im running 92 octane, so 93 will probably be the most I need until later when i put in a camshaft, ls6 springs and all this other crap they sell :D , possibly a turbo :D .
Hold it a second... Am I reading this right?
You have a superchargered motor... correct?
And you want to put a Turbocharger on it?
Sorry son, but that rooster don't fly.

And if you plan on making the rest of those mods (besides the turbo), you're definately gonna want to get better oil in that puppy...
And wet systems have come a long way in the last few years and will work much better with a forced air induction system (a.k.a. supercharger or turbo)... The only perfectly safe Nitrous system is one that you don't put on your vehicle... And keep in mind I AM A BOTTLE BABY :) , so basically what I'm saying is "If you put nitrous on your car, doesn't matter if it's wet or dry, if it's done wrong, then bye-bye motor."... so make sure a professional that is familiar with nitrous puts it on as I've seen to many kids try and throw a 150 shot on a stock Civic and I'm sure you know the results of that.
-Michael
http://www.teamcargodzinc.com :thumbsup
Hear It, See It, Feel It, Punch It!
And Proud Sponsor of
Team Wolf Pack Audio
Authorized Dealer
Post Reply