Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Clarion DRZ9255

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
Jonathan
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Georgia

Post by Jonathan »

If you like the Clarion's features/ergonomics then don't hesitate to buy it. Clarions Proaudio line is just as good as Alpines stuff for reliability and sound quality.

A DC/DC converter performs the same task as an isolation transformer, it is used to eliminate potential noise interference that may have leaked past the diode pack in a car's alternator. I believe the ones used in head units step up, but I can't remember and don't remember the ratio either.
Fishy
Senior Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Tamarac (Ft. Laud), FL

Post by Fishy »

Thanks Jonathan.

I love the way this thing looks and after reading the manual a bit

http://www.clarion.com/usa/support/manuals/index.html

I'm beginning to fall in love with this unit's features. With the 4 way Xover I'll be able to lose my Q's passive ones(they are power sucking pigs) and go with a completely active 4 way system. That in combination with the PEQ and 6 or 7 channel time correction should place me squarely in tweakazoid heaven, but then there's basic sound quality.

800 bucks is a lot to spend and I was wondering if those Burr-Brown DAC's would help produce basic SQ on par with, or close to the CDA-7990, or are the added benefits something I wouldn't even notice compared to a 9833(I think I have a pretty discerning ear).

I dunno, the thought of having all those extra Alpine bells and whistles just kinda rubs me the wrong way. I don't need to control an iPod, I don't play MP3's, I don't need a fancy display, I don't particularly like the 9833's looks, and I especially neither need nor want an internal amplifier taking up space inside my h/u.

I just want it to sound good.

That being said, is the Clarion worth the extra bucks? hmmm......

Thanks for all the input everyone. Now if I can just get Kiki to weigh in here with an F#1 perspective I should be set.

:)

-Fishy
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

I'm not sure how much better it would sound, but not having an internal amplifier really saves a lot of space for better components.

You may want the MP3/WMA. At first, I thought it had been just a cool "feature", but it turns out to be pretty good IMO. I find that I can fit around 5 or 6 full cd's on a single one.

I think I'm just a huge fan of a head unit that has no internal amp lol. I was in love with that Alpine from a few years ago that had the oversized display that hid inside; no internal amp, of course :) .
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Fishy
Senior Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Tamarac (Ft. Laud), FL

Post by Fishy »

Yeah me too, I was looking at a couple used 7998's on e-bay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 87341&rd=1

but the complexity/reliability of that Phantom Face mechanism had me me scared, so I decided to play it safe and find something new. Unfortunately, aside from the 7990 and this Clarion no one seems to offer dead heads anymore.

As a former Engineering student I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. credo. I don't even really like removable faceplates, but you're right, MP3/WMA capability is a feature I may want to take advantage of in the future even though I hear you sacrifice some SQ with these formats. I don't really know for sure as I'm a car audio dinosaur and have never even downloaded a song off the internet, much less made an MP3 disk.

:p

I guess there's always the iPod option. I wouldn't be able to control one with this deck, but I ought to be able to at least hook one up through one of the auxiliary inputs shouldn't I? or would I need a preamp/line driver for that.

Fishy
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Keep it simple stupid?

Hehe...yes its the same format Im using. No processing outside the HU and amps...

Look into the new JVC HU's. They are awfully pretty and are function packed...
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Fishy
Senior Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Tamarac (Ft. Laud), FL

Post by Fishy »

I found some hi res pics of this thing:

http://slickssite.com/9255/9255front.jpg

http://slickssite.com/9255/9255atnight.jpg

others:

http://slickssite.com/9255/

I really do like its understated look. Not sure about the white display, but I've never had anything other than Alpine green. I think I'm gettin it.

Where's Kiki?

:p

-Fishy
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

Awesome! That makes me want to sell my Pioneer :)
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
Fishy
Senior Member
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Tamarac (Ft. Laud), FL

Post by Fishy »

Ordered it last night.

There's some limitations in the selectable crossover points. For example 200 Hz is the lowest HP setting available for the mids, but I think I can get around that by using a 6 dB slope or by using the "low" output for my 5 1/4's and the "mid" output in combination with the high pass from my 4180c for the rear stock located 6w0's. If need be I'll just keep my outboard crossover. Although the frx456 is a good, clean unit I figure the less stuff in the signal path the better. I really need some midbass drivers up front, but I'm trying to keep things looking "stock".

Well anyway I've got the Explorer pretty much torn apart in anticipation of this h/u's arrival(rear 6w0 install) and figured this was a good a time as any to add a bit more sound deadening. Since I'm limited to a 5 1/4" front stage I've got a couple questions about sound deadening the inside of my doors(outside panel) to see if I can improve this anemic midbass situation.

See other thread.

-Fishy
Post Reply