Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Clarion DRZ9255
Clarion DRZ9255
My old Alpine cde-7831 is on its way out so I just ordered a cda-9833($350 shipped) figuring it would have the best SQ for my application. F#1 status costs too much and I don't think my Xover can deal with Eclipse's 8V preouts.
I was all excited and happy to have finally made a decision when I came across this:
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?ica ... vbname=425
I've owned a couple Alpine tuners and have always been a fan of dead-heads, but I didn't think anyone made a good tuner anymore. Is anyone familiar with this unit? Since it has an on-board 4 way crossover I could easily lose my frx456 if the Clarion has a subsonic filter option as well. I don't think I can use my PPI's sub-out anyways and still use 4 channel time alignment as its non-fading output combined with the mono output of my Xtant 1001dx would sum all the delayed signals resulting in what I would think would be some pretty muddy bass. The 24 bit Burr Brown DAC's look attractive too. Isn't that what the 7990 uses as well?
I'd be perfectly willing to cancel that 9833 and fork out the extra cash if this unit will produce even slightly better SQ. What does everybody think?
Kiki? Jonathan? anyone?
I've never owned a Clarion so I'm a bit hesitant to make that purchase. I figure I have til tomorrow morning to cancel that Alpine so some quick opinions sure would be appreciated.
thanks
-Fishy
I was all excited and happy to have finally made a decision when I came across this:
http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?ica ... vbname=425
I've owned a couple Alpine tuners and have always been a fan of dead-heads, but I didn't think anyone made a good tuner anymore. Is anyone familiar with this unit? Since it has an on-board 4 way crossover I could easily lose my frx456 if the Clarion has a subsonic filter option as well. I don't think I can use my PPI's sub-out anyways and still use 4 channel time alignment as its non-fading output combined with the mono output of my Xtant 1001dx would sum all the delayed signals resulting in what I would think would be some pretty muddy bass. The 24 bit Burr Brown DAC's look attractive too. Isn't that what the 7990 uses as well?
I'd be perfectly willing to cancel that 9833 and fork out the extra cash if this unit will produce even slightly better SQ. What does everybody think?
Kiki? Jonathan? anyone?
I've never owned a Clarion so I'm a bit hesitant to make that purchase. I figure I have til tomorrow morning to cancel that Alpine so some quick opinions sure would be appreciated.
thanks
-Fishy
Man, I just downloaded the manual for that thing and I have to say I'm pretty excited. Unlike the Alpine it does include a subsonic filter adjustment which will allow me to remove one more link in my system(analog xover). The DRZ9255 lists for about 1300 dollars so I think that Etronics price is a pretty good one as well.
Anyone here not think this would be a substantial upgrade to my system, even over the 9833?
I'm just glad I returned my 10w6v2's so I can afford this beast.
:happy055:
-Fishy
Anyone here not think this would be a substantial upgrade to my system, even over the 9833?
I'm just glad I returned my 10w6v2's so I can afford this beast.
:happy055:
-Fishy
- William from NOLA
- Posts: 5172
- Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
- Location: Metairie, LA
- Contact:
I personally would go for the Clarion hands down. It doesn't have an internal amp, two inputs, AND it has 7 or 8 preouts! I think I like its understated look. It reminds me of a stock radio. I'm not sure what that DC/DC "converter" does though. Last time I checked, a converter changes something :P
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 
I think the the 9833 has a DC/DC converter as well. I guess it may be just an external power supply that does step up the voltage(and/or down, 5 volts?) like you said, and may have some noise limiting benefits as well. I too really like the way it looks. It goes well with the "industrial look" my Xtant stuff brings to the system.
Now all I have to do is get in touch with the guys I ordered that Alpine from so I can cancel. It hasn't shipped yet, but they're closed on the weekends.
I've never purchased anything from Etronics, but I noticed it was one of the recommended sites in the FAQ section. Is that as good a place as any to buy something online? I have no idea how the warranty would work, but the price sure does seem right.
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.
-Fishy
Now all I have to do is get in touch with the guys I ordered that Alpine from so I can cancel. It hasn't shipped yet, but they're closed on the weekends.
I've never purchased anything from Etronics, but I noticed it was one of the recommended sites in the FAQ section. Is that as good a place as any to buy something online? I have no idea how the warranty would work, but the price sure does seem right.
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.
-Fishy
-
Ryan from Ohio
- Posts: 13308
- Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
- Contact:
I just cant see spending that kind of cash...
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Yeah it is a bit pricey to say the least, but I have to get a new h/u. The volume control on mine is going and it has never played CDR's very well. Waiting ages for a track to load can be very annoying. After 20+ years messing with car audio I'm to a point where I want the best........ within reason. This unit will definitely add to the ability and ease in which I can set up and tweak my system and if it only reproduces recordings marginally better than the 9833 I think its worth the extra 470 bucks. I really don't "need" anything else in my system. I guess I could use a better sub(s), but I've tried 10w6's in my Explorer and although they had tons more output and played a bit lower they only sounded slightly better than my 10w3's at volumes that didn't totally overpower my front stage. In fact I think the w3's blend better with my Q's anyways.
I dunno. After seeing the specs/features on this unit I think I'd be kicking myself later on if I went ahead with the 9833.
-Fishy
I dunno. After seeing the specs/features on this unit I think I'd be kicking myself later on if I went ahead with the 9833.
-Fishy
An old alpine cde-7831.
It was near Alpine's top of the line SQ-wise at the time(400 bucks). It was one of their first units to employ 4v preouts along with the 1 bit regulated DAC's but other than that its pretty basic. It only has two sets of preouts and no xover or DSP functions except maybe that useless BBE stuff and at the moment IS POSSESSED.
:
-Fishy
It was near Alpine's top of the line SQ-wise at the time(400 bucks). It was one of their first units to employ 4v preouts along with the 1 bit regulated DAC's but other than that its pretty basic. It only has two sets of preouts and no xover or DSP functions except maybe that useless BBE stuff and at the moment IS POSSESSED.
-Fishy