Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Mono Amp question

All questions related to amplifier installation and troubleshooting.
bcz24
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:51 pm

Mono Amp question

Post by bcz24 »

This is probably a dumb question, but can a mono sub amp be used to power 2 subs. I have 2 JBL 10's in a ported box that I have been trying to hook up for like 4 years but I dont know crap about amps and I every person I have ever asked has given me a completely different answer... I appologize if this has been asked before but I couldnt find it so I ask again!!!
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

lol yea man. Most people you'll find run mono amps to multiple subs. Give us the specs of the sub and amp. Tell us what the rms is on the subs and what ohm configuration (e.g. Dual or Single 8ohm,4ohm,2ohm). Then find out the Brand and model of the amp and its rated power at each ohm config. Feel free to i/m me on aim (davetheslave10) anytime and make sure to stick around and learn some stuff. This forum has many knowledgable people who can help you out with just about anything.
bcz24
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:51 pm

Post by bcz24 »

How would I find that info on the sub? I dont have an amp any reccomendations would be cool... umm all I know about the subs are that they are JBL 10" dual voice coil
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

Check the back of the magnet on one of your subs. Usually it lists what ohm the sub is. Sometimes it may list the model number as well.
bcz24
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:51 pm

Post by bcz24 »

JBL Grand Touring Series
Model: GT1000D 10" Sub
Sensativity: 94db
Impedence: 2 or 8 ohms
Rec Power: 18-260W
Thats everything off the back of the sub
audiobass10
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Cape Coral, Florida

Post by audiobass10 »

Is it single or dual voice coil? single voice coil subs have one set of positive and negative inputs for speaker wire. dual voice coil subs have two sets..best way i can explain it really.
bcz24
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:51 pm

Post by bcz24 »

Dual Voice Coil.... that much I actually knew...lol
Scarrell
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Carmi, Illinois

Post by Scarrell »

http://www.eseelectronics.com/html/gt_1000_d.html

would these be the guys? did a quick little search and this is the first thing i found... anyway, yes you can use a mono amp...
bcz24
Junior Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:51 pm

Post by bcz24 »

actually yes those are the exact ones... are they decent subs? I had them hooked up in my toronado like 3 years ago for about a week to a phoenix gold amp and they sounded great but then the internal power wire in the amp fried and i never got another amp
dmeyer07
Senior Member
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:00 pm
Location: ********

Post by dmeyer07 »

Looks like 'em to me :) . Lol good job.
Post Reply