Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Noise coming from amp

All questions related to amplifier installation and troubleshooting.
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

Steven wrote:I have a friend from work that used a test tone cd and it ruined his MTX mono amp. He gave it to me and i hooked it up , it worked but you could smell the voice coils burning from the subs.

test tones dont ruin amps. improper install and abuse ruin installs. and if you smelled burning VCs from hooking the amp up to your subs you were probaly clipping the amp or sending it too much power. im sure there isnt anything wrong with the amp unless you shorted a sub out and it hurt the amp.
User avatar
Chris from Washington
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Washington
Contact:

Post by Chris from Washington »

swimmerdude wrote:So that means that it just will make that noise or that the fan is already bad??
I had a fan on my external hard drive, start making this really bad noise right after I bought it.

I opened it up, and peeled back the lable. I then put a small drop of oil into the bearings. That fixed it, and it's been good ever since :)
User avatar
swimmerdude
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by swimmerdude »

Chris from Washington wrote:I had a fan on my external hard drive, start making this really bad noise right after I bought it.

I opened it up, and peeled back the lable. I then put a small drop of oil into the bearings. That fixed it, and it's been good ever since :)

Hmmm.... that would be easy to do, and sounds like a quick fix, hopefully if i do that, that it is the problem. But i need to find time to take off the case on the amp.... i kinda have a weeks worth of homework to do as i was in florida.... so maybe next weekends project.
User avatar
Chris from Washington
Posts: 4671
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Washington
Contact:

Post by Chris from Washington »

Did you say this was a brand new amp?

Might want to see if you can get whoever you bought it from, to swap out the amp.
User avatar
swimmerdude
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by swimmerdude »

I was planning on calling tomorrow if they are there. I bought it from SonicElectronix cause i wanted to make sure i have a year warranty with it.
Steven
Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:25 pm

Post by Steven »

test tones dont ruin amps. improper install and abuse ruin installs. and if you smelled burning VCs from hooking the amp up to your subs you were probaly clipping the amp or sending it too much power. im sure there isnt anything wrong with the amp unless you shorted a sub out and it hurt the amp.
Let me barrow your head unit and subs and i'll check it out again, lol....
User avatar
swimmerdude
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1131
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Post by swimmerdude »

Just an update... my old amp still works. I hooked it back up to my Kickers and works just fine. My friend still has yet to go through and check his fuses.... he is such a lazy ass.
Minorthreat412
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Belleville, Michigan

Post by Minorthreat412 »

It's this kind of stuff that'll drive you crazy.
Post Reply