Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
LPF and HPF settings
LPF and HPF settings
Folks, I am trying to understand abit more on the relationship between HPF and LPF of different components within my setup. I currently have my subwoofer's LPF set at 80khz (24db slope) with the midbass drivers at 80 (24db slope). This I understand would probably produce 'extra' volume within those two roll-off slopes (and I wouldn't want that).
So what I should really be doing is to setup a gap between the sub's LPF and the midbass HPF. Now the question is, how will I know what kind of gap should I be leaving (considering I have no RTA available) and what kind of slopes would be goodl? I find that having the sub to pass off at 80khz (24db) produces the best punch. I am assuming using gentler slopes would probaby 'blend' the components better?
Also, this 'gap' would probably be applicable to midbass and tweeter crossover configuration as well?
Thoughts much appreciated! I'd really like to get this right. Tuning it is like 1/2 the fun!!
So what I should really be doing is to setup a gap between the sub's LPF and the midbass HPF. Now the question is, how will I know what kind of gap should I be leaving (considering I have no RTA available) and what kind of slopes would be goodl? I find that having the sub to pass off at 80khz (24db) produces the best punch. I am assuming using gentler slopes would probaby 'blend' the components better?
Also, this 'gap' would probably be applicable to midbass and tweeter crossover configuration as well?
Thoughts much appreciated! I'd really like to get this right. Tuning it is like 1/2 the fun!!
Honestly I like using a sharper cut off for the sub. So I would stay with 80 24 for it.
As for components I like using a 12 db slope . Speckers tend to roll of at 12db an octave anyways, so it always seems to work out well for me.
As for the gap. The best way is with an RTA (as you all ready know). You next bet it to just play with it. I would start out at 100 with a 12 db slope and go from there. If you like where the subs are now. If you want more punch out of your mids you can run them at 80 with a 12db slope, and drop the sub to around 60.
With the tweets, unless your running active, you probably won't need to mess with it. The factory x-over should take care of the blending for you.
As for components I like using a 12 db slope . Speckers tend to roll of at 12db an octave anyways, so it always seems to work out well for me.
As for the gap. The best way is with an RTA (as you all ready know). You next bet it to just play with it. I would start out at 100 with a 12 db slope and go from there. If you like where the subs are now. If you want more punch out of your mids you can run them at 80 with a 12db slope, and drop the sub to around 60.
With the tweets, unless your running active, you probably won't need to mess with it. The factory x-over should take care of the blending for you.
Well it doesnt look like i can just set the LPF x-over on the HU to off or flat. I have the Pioneer DEH-P860MP and i dont see how i can set the crossovers off. I believe i can set the HPF to full/off but im not sure if i can with the LPF.
Im using a ppi a600.2 which is a great amp with no crossovers so i have my HU set at 12db @ 100hz and its great this way.
For my sub amp i have a arc audio 1500-xxk and i have the LPF on at 24db @ 80hz and i have the HU LPF on at 18db @ 80hz but i want to turn it off so i can just use the amp only.
Im using a ppi a600.2 which is a great amp with no crossovers so i have my HU set at 12db @ 100hz and its great this way.
For my sub amp i have a arc audio 1500-xxk and i have the LPF on at 24db @ 80hz and i have the HU LPF on at 18db @ 80hz but i want to turn it off so i can just use the amp only.
-
solacedagony
- Master of My Domain
- Posts: 2171
- Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 am
- Location: Phillipsburg, NJ
- Contact: