Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Am I The Only One This Is Happening to?

Post all your general car audio questions here.
Minorthreat412
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Belleville, Michigan

Am I The Only One This Is Happening to?

Post by Minorthreat412 »

Thank you for reading my thread.

I drive a 1995 Grand Prix GTP and Ive had a system in it for a very long time. I have a perfect condition MTX 3401 powering two not-so-perfect 10 inch Polk Audios. These things use to hit so perfect it was unbelievible. The thing is that Ill set the frequency a million times but it never seems to hit right anymore. They are worn out I know. They might as well be blown. Sometimes when they are up pretty high they hit kind of late. Like their not getting enough power. Im not really even putting a lot of power to them but they seem to just be lacking.

In general, they are just not sounding right. Does this usually happen when subs become worn out? Has this happened to anyone else?

I have another question while Im on here also. I have a Pioneer in my car and everyone knows how you can turn your system up or down from the HU. I can hook my Gain Control up but Ive never gotten around to it. Personally I dont like those things. So, I turn my amp up from my HU. I have a pretty good guess that its really not turning the gain up and it distort the sound when its turned up. But Id like to hear from you guys to see what you think about it. Would it really effect my system that much if I started to use the Gain Control instead of turning it up from the HU?
Rave'n
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Post by Rave'n »

Did You check your box for weaknesses or leaks?

Your box might be worn out if it isnt your subs.
Rave'n
Junior Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Ohio

Post by Rave'n »

I also have a pioneer HU ,You can turn it up on the HU But IMO it causes more distortion I use mine just to fine tune each song.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

check your wiring and grounds.
check the amp gain setting at the amp.
try gently pushing in the sub cones and se if they move freely with a little resistance (if sealed) and come back to the centered resting position naturally.
try disconnecting each sub and test it's DCR with a meter to see the resistance. see if they about match between the two.
check head unit settings for the subs. level, XO freq, etc.
make sure both subs are in phase (!)
make sure both are hitting.
set the XO point at about 80Hz, 0 phase, 18dB or steeper slope if you can adjust it, and set the ISF if ou have one, at the tuned frequency if ported, or at 20Hz if sealed.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Minorthreat412
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Belleville, Michigan

Post by Minorthreat412 »

Yes, they are sealed. I check everything constantly. Every variable that I can change I've looked at several times. I have about the best ground possible.

I need new stuff for sure. My HU has been giving me trouble for the longest time. For example: when the radios on(even with the volume all the way down) the subs give out a low pitched bass. I'll turn it off, the subs will pop a little, then you won't hear the bass anymore. It flunctuates with the engine. When I put the car in park it will lighten up a little. I'm about to invest in a HO alternator. The only problem is that the alternator is way at the bottom and comes out at the wheel. I've replaced it about a year ago.

I'll hook up my Gain Control when I get around to it. A friend of mine uses it and seems to like it a lot. Ofcourse he's not that into car audio. He just likes having a system in his car.

Any advice on a good, cheap, and reliable HU? Maybe even some advice on some decently priced 10 inch subwoofers?

I currently have no job right now so my funds are very small. Something cheap but reliable is basically what I'm looking for. Most likely going to go with some Kickers or something.

Thank you everyone for your help.
-Chad
Minorthreat412
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Belleville, Michigan

Post by Minorthreat412 »

o yeah, Amp specs.

-200WRMS to each subwoofer.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

sounds like the amp may be bad, actually.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Minorthreat412
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Belleville, Michigan

Post by Minorthreat412 »

amp is brand new. I actually had the same problems when I had my last amp installed. That one was brand new too.
imbrognolouis
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:23 am
Location: Connecticut

Post by imbrognolouis »

for the low price of the alpine type r's on a budget they are bang for the buck subs and sound prety nice. HU wise, i'd go with a low end panasonic or pioneer. I've owned both before i bought my eclipse 8053 and had no problems with either. i've had tons of issues with kenwood and sony players skippin so i wouldnt recommend em.
Post Reply