Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Popping sound and hiss

All questions related to amplifier installation and troubleshooting.
dynome
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Waverly, Iowa

Post by dynome »

well, rear output works great! wish I would have thought of that a long time ago. easy enough to check. Well, what's this mean for me? Is there something amis with the front RCA connections that I could fix? By the way, the rear output on my receiver is a dangling wire connection that is not directly on the back. The front and sub outputs are directly on the back....
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

Was the sleeve of the rca touching the metal of the chassis of the HU? That is a possibility. (or any other metal for that matter)
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
dynome
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Waverly, Iowa

Post by dynome »

It may have been with the added diameter of the rca chord... I'd have to check though.
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

cord. :) cord = cable. chord = musical note.

you probably toasted the front pre-out board. all it means is you lost fader ability from front to back speakers off the head unit. that's all.
if all you're using is one set of full range preouts, it doesn't matter if they are F or R ones.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
dynome
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Waverly, Iowa

Post by dynome »

Well, the front output still worked and sounded great except for that pop. Also, my receiver has some front imaging settings that only work through the front outputs.

haha...ya I'm a bad speller...
I've played violin since I was 10 and piano since I was 8 so seems like I should know what a musical "chord" is ;)

what would have gotten fried then? I can still fade front to rear just fine...
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

how old is the head unit?
if the popping is only in the front pre-outs, that's what got damaged.
word of advice, taping up RCA connections can save your butt.
If the metal of the RCA connection gets grounded to metal in the car or touches a 12V line behind the dash when all the wiring is mashed back into the console, you can short out the pre-amp portion of the head unit and cause damage to it. Seen it happen many times.

If the unit is uner a year old, just return it for repair under warranty.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
dynome
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Waverly, Iowa

Post by dynome »

GlassWolf, what about this?

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthrea ... ng+rca%27s

Which way is it? Ground that outer connection or don't?
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

the problem isn't the outer edge grounding, it's that center pin. if that grounds out behind the radio when it's not protected by an RCA cable, or a plastic/rubber plug, that's what kills the head init's circuit board.
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
dynome
Junior Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:16 pm
Location: Waverly, Iowa

Post by dynome »

well, that inner pin definately hasn't touched anything. I am assuming that if I ground the outer part, it will work then...
User avatar
GlassWolf
Master of My Domain
Posts: 6725
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:00 am
Location: Columbia, SC
Contact:

Post by GlassWolf »

give it a try!
Image
GlassWolf (aka KikiTheCat)
moderator-administrator
Post Reply