Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Sorting the good bad and ugly

Post all your general car audio questions here.
Darthness
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3706
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:54 pm

Post by Darthness »

all things go bad with age...
Image
- Keith
Bwcad1
Master of My Domain
Posts: 9312
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Ohio

Post by Bwcad1 »

ryan i have used the gx4000 the gx3000 and the autotek mm2000.1 and mm4000.1 which are esentually the same boards. all of these amps have done me well i have used the lower brands in customers cars and they seem to be fine. im sure devin will back me up on these claims... and alot of compeitors use them in there vehicles... now as for the older amps i have done 2 installs with older hifonics amps and i did not like them i wont use anything from 2004 or back. and just few=3 which equates to 17. not 9. u sure you did ok in math? lol now ryan what experiance have you had with them?
ImageImage


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
User avatar
William from NOLA
Posts: 5172
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am
Location: Metairie, LA
Contact:

Post by William from NOLA »

veggie-man wrote:ok obviously you have more experience than me, but my dads Sony mobile ES worked extremely nicely for about 2 years or so then it started to skip every time he went over a bump.... then about 6 months later it got so bad as to every time he put in a CD that wasn’t PERFECTLY clean it would skip like a madman.
That’s my experience with that but maybe it was a lemon? I have no clue
I think Sony never got the hang of it. Same thing happened with mine when I had an Xplode HU. The first 3 years I had it, it would never skip and work fine (I got it to skip once on a major pothole though :) ). Then the remaining 4 years, it skipped FAR easier and on stupid stuff too.
A.K.A. megahurts4 :: Member since: July 19, 2002 :eek:
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

i would say the brand new hifonics stuff 05 and up is pretty decent. the 04 down to like 99 or maybe even lower really over rated their stuff. and their series ( i beileve or 8) back when zed made their amps where top notch amps that kicked the crap out of about anything that they put against it. the old boltars were great amps and some others from way back in the day.
smoker
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:00 am
Location: florence, ky
Contact:

Post by smoker »

i have an older sony cdx-c610 in my car which i have had in one vehicle or another since new in 96........never ever have i had a problem but i wouldnt be caught dead with their new stuff.....also i have run the older series IV hifonics in quite a few vehicles and love the old stuff........
CleverCynic
Junior Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:10 am

X's and SX's

Post by CleverCynic »

sinister audio wrote:did i read that right that you are running 2 type Xs and an RE sx at the same time?
yes that's correct. They are not wired together though. The X-types are in a dual sealed enclosure on one amp and the SX is in a ported on the other amp. I have a chevy astro cargo van and the luxury of a ton of space. I originally started out with the X-types because I listen primarily to rock, but I was a bit put off that my friend's 1000w setup (to my 2,000) to two fosgates caused more of a physical reaction in his camry even though they sounded in my opinion like cr@p (at least for my music). That's when I added the SX, but each setup has the remote bass control so I don't always use them both. For hiphop of course primarily the vented, for classic rock primarily or only the sealed, but oh man, the rap-rock or new rock (nu-rock) there's just no other way to fly than to have this dual setup. The sealed is responsive and keeps the tempo and punchiness and the vented raises the spl and causes the lingering bass. Everyone who hears it agrees it's just beautiful. You really can have it all if you've got the space.

At any rate, I also have 2 H/O alternators and a 5 farad cap. Feel free to ask about the dual setup, I was never able to find any info or reviews on it prior to just doing it.
High Society
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Post by High Society »

At any rate, I also have 2 H/O alternators and a 5 farad cap. Feel free to ask about the dual setup, I was never able to find any info or reviews on it prior to just doing it.
I was just getting ready to ask that, how many amps are your alt's?
♠ Mateo ♠

80 pounds of Titanium
Proud Member of Team Wolfpack Audio
CleverCynic
Junior Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:10 am

alt's

Post by CleverCynic »

They are both Delco 200amp alternators. They're not really expensive cold rated ones though, gotta have a load on them to get that high but they keep up if the light's not too too long (though I try not to bump my traffic light neighbors anyway)...

The cap is just a Power Acoustik which is not a brand I'll get terribly excited about, but it did solve my headlight problem when I only had the x's on one alternator, so it's still in the mix for whatever good it's doing.
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

as long as your not running them together it should be alright. how do you like the SX?
High Society
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Post by High Society »

I dunno if I missed it or not, but what size's are they. Two 12's X's and 15" SX?
♠ Mateo ♠

80 pounds of Titanium
Proud Member of Team Wolfpack Audio
Post Reply