Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

how many run an active front stage?

Post all your general car audio questions here.
racerraul
Senior Member
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:40 am
Location: Florida

Post by racerraul »

On my 04 RAM I am running all active 3way up front with my 9835 & xOver on the amps.

On my 93 Saturn I am runnign all active 3way up front with an AC 2XS, EQX & HU xOvers.

I plan on using this Pro-Audio unit at home with multiple amps for an active setup at home...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdet ... er=248-669

I seen someone modify this unit for 12v in the car environment... even @ double its asking price ($500) there is not a mobile elctronic piece that I know of that can compare to it.
mikechec9
Senior Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Chicago/Atlanta
Contact:

Post by mikechec9 »

"There's also the argument that passive offers FAR more flexibility than active. Not as easily since you have to change out all caps and inductors to get the result"

i'd like to see a passive more flexible than my 701. focal's Be xo has multi-tap inductors and caps though. likely a key candidate? the drivers might be a waste of 4k (what set wouldn't be?), but i would love to be able to snag one of those blocks. i'd throw it right under a p9. morel's accuset devise seems nice too. not nearly as convenient though.
Jonathan
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:44 pm
Location: Georgia

Post by Jonathan »

"i'd like to see a passive more flexible than my 701. focal's Be xo has multi-tap inductors and caps though. likely a key candidate? the drivers might be a waste of 4k (what set wouldn't be?), but i would love to be able to snag one of those blocks. i'd throw it right under a p9. morel's accuset devise seems nice too. not nearly as convenient though."

I wasn't talking about one passive crossover that's readily available for purchase, I was referring to the fact that you can custom build a passive crossover in so many different ways. With active you're limited to what the processor can do, with passive you can buy as many caps and coils as you want, it's just expensive as hell.
mikechec9
Senior Member
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Chicago/Atlanta
Contact:

Post by mikechec9 »

Jonathan wrote: I wasn't talking about one passive crossover that's readily available for purchase, I was referring to the fact that you can custom build a passive crossover in so many different ways... it's just expensive as hell.
yeah. not experienced (or fortunate) enough to go that route just yet. sounds like an aspiration further toward the end of the hobby for me. but if it will make for a more acoustically accurate system, i'll definitely probe into it eventually.
geolemon
Senior Member
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:46 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Post by geolemon »

If you start out simple - a simple 12dB/octave HP/LP combo, for example - building a crossover really isn't difficult.

You don't even need to know anything about it, to start playing... there are great websites out there, you just plug in your speaker's impedences, your desired Xover frequency, the slope - usually you pick a crossover type (Bessel, Linkwitz, Butterworth, etc), and hit "submit"...
...IT comes back at you with a schematic (which is very, very simple), and the values of the components that you want to use.
And even at that, you don't need to be exact... they don't make 337uF capacitors, for example.. you could use a 320uF. :cool:

Honestly, even 24dB/octave filters (which you'd basically never need to go steeper than that), the schematic isn't complicated, not terribly hard to build - just that it gets expensive.

But to get started with, there are inexpensive crossover parts available too. I personally scale my crossover parts quality with frequency range in mind...
For tweeters and mids, I use high quality components. For my sub, I use iron core inductors and less expensive capacitors.
For experimenting, I use "cheap" right across the board. :D

If you are curious, check out some of the differences here:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm ... Page_ID=61
Inductors come with similar quality differences...
You'll notice small-value inductors come in air-core, foil, and other exotic types - these are best sonically, but don't come very large.
Fortunately, you don't need "large" until you need to build a sub Xover... and iron core ones work well (and aren't too expensive) for the job.
PE sells these too.

I buy a lot of my crossover components from them - they have a good selection of "cheap" (but suitable for Xovers), "midgrade", and "high end".
(I used the Dayton Poly caps in my Pathfinder system - that's as exotic as I care to pay for. ;) And I just used the standard, bipolar electrolytics for my sub Xover.)

Now that I do a search, I see that PE has all sorts of info on Xover design, if you are curious:
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&webpage_id=140
(scroll to "resources and articles")
Post Reply