Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Problems installing HU?

Car stereo head units, EQ, and DSP questions.
jmjacks
Junior Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:11 pm

Problems installing HU?

Post by jmjacks »

I am having a problem installing a CD player in my 90 chevy lumina avp van. I have checked the fuses they were blown & I replaced 2 of them. I have tried 2 different stereos that I know work & can't get either 1 to power up.

I'm almost positive that I have the correct wires:

Orange from van to Yellow on HU - Batt/Memory

Yellow from van to Red on HU - Ign/Acc

Black to Black - Ground

How would I test the wires with a multimeter I've never used 1 what should the readings be

What else can I do is there another way to hook up a stereo without the stock wiring.

Someone please help!
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Buy the >$10 adapter from Walmart?
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
Justin from Detroit1
Junior Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 6:00 pm
Location: Detroit

Post by Justin from Detroit1 »

The batt/mem wire should have a power reading at all times, the acc/ign wire will only have power when the key is turned to the run position.
High Society
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2473
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Post by High Society »

Orange from van to Yellow on HU - Batt/Memory
Try running a wire a wire straight from the batt to the cd player. I have a 92 chevy S-10. After a while the stock power wire wasn't constant anymore. I dunno why, but try running a wire straight from the batt to the cd player.
♠ Mateo ♠

80 pounds of Titanium
Proud Member of Team Wolfpack Audio
ridr4lif
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:00 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Post by ridr4lif »

Image

This is a test light. Go get one and test the wires.
smoker
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:00 am
Location: florence, ky
Contact:

Post by smoker »

ridr4lif wrote:Image

This is a test light. Go get one and test the wires.

only use this if you dont have air bags....or are very careful.....i dont have one and havent in years but i have heard horror stories (true or not?) of guys setting of the airbag with one of those things.....
ridr4lif
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1654
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:00 am
Location: East Hampton, NY

Post by ridr4lif »

smoker wrote:only use this if you dont have air bags....or are very careful.....i dont have one and havent in years but i have heard horror stories (true or not?) of guys setting of the airbag with one of those things.....
All a test light does is check if there is power running thru a wire. I dont see how it would set off an airbag :confused
smoker
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:00 am
Location: florence, ky
Contact:

Post by smoker »

well it places a current draw on the line to light the bulb....this is what can supposedly set the air bag off.......
sinister audio
Master of My Domain
Posts: 2562
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:00 am
Location: Watertown, South Dakota
Contact:

Post by sinister audio »

i could see how it could if you were poking into the wrong wires. the ones in the yellow wire loom are the bad ones which should be no where near the radio.
smoker
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:00 am
Location: florence, ky
Contact:

Post by smoker »

give this a whirl...i use it when im dealing wiht what youve got.....
no harness that is.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/GM-Wiring.pdf
Post Reply