Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!
Stock sub and after market radio
-
jeffdessler
- Junior Member
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm
Stock sub and after market radio
I have a 2003 expidition eddie bower.. I put i n a Boss audio dvd player/radio. My expo has a stock rear sub and i know it is powered by a amp but evertime i try to hook it up i hear a humming sound come out the speaker. What am i doing wrong and how do i fix it. Thank you.
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
- Chris from Washington
- Posts: 4671
- Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 am
- Location: Washington
- Contact:
Re: Stock sub and after market radio
Do you hear the humming noise all the time, or just when the engine is running? Does any sound come out or just humming?jeffdessler wrote:I have a 2003 expidition eddie bower.. I put i n a Boss audio dvd player/radio. My expo has a stock rear sub and i know it is powered by a amp but evertime i try to hook it up i hear a humming sound come out the speaker. What am i doing wrong and how do i fix it. Thank you.
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
also, how did you wire it up? The stock amp doesn't have RCA inputs I'm guessing.
-
jeffdessler
- Junior Member
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm
Re: Stock sub and after market radio
Hear it only when the engine is running. Your right the stock amp dont have rca. I tryed hooking it up all diffrent ways. Power and ground and what im guessing is where the rca should be i tryed to attach to the rear speaker wires and tryed touching the to the rca coming out the unit. Still same thing. I thought about running its own power from the battery. You think that would work.Chris from Washington wrote:Do you hear the humming noise all the time, or just when the engine is running? Does any sound come out or just humming?
also, how did you wire it up? The stock amp doesn't have RCA inputs I'm guessing.
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
-
jeffdessler
- Junior Member
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm
Re: Stock sub and after market radio
Oh yeah when i hook it up to the speaker wire i hear music and bass but also the humming.Chris from Washington wrote:Do you hear the humming noise all the time, or just when the engine is running? Does any sound come out or just humming?
also, how did you wire it up? The stock amp doesn't have RCA inputs I'm guessing.
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
- Chris from Washington
- Posts: 4671
- Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 am
- Location: Washington
- Contact:
Re: Stock sub and after market radio
Do you get the engine noise only when the amp is on (not connected to the audio output). Or if the amp is on, and you connect the audio signal wires then it starts making the noise.jeffdessler wrote:Hear it only when the engine is running. Your right the stock amp dont have rca. I tryed hooking it up all diffrent ways. Power and ground and what im guessing is where the rca should be i tryed to attach to the rear speaker wires and tryed touching the to the rca coming out the unit. Still same thing. I thought about running its own power from the battery. You think that would work.
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Trying to troubleshoot when/where the noise in introduced.
-
jeffdessler
- Junior Member
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm
Re: Stock sub and after market radio
I figured it out.
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
- Chris from Washington
- Posts: 4671
- Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:00 am
- Location: Washington
- Contact:
Re: Stock sub and after market radio
What was the issue? Just so others know if they have the same problem and come across this thread.jeffdessler wrote:I figured it out.
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
-
jeffdessler
- Junior Member
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 pm
Re: Stock sub and after market radio
Bad ground and had to splice a rca to the stock wire
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk