Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

Wire w/ White Line + or -?

All speaker/sub woofer related questions.
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Wire w/ White Line + or -?

Post by NorthQuad »

I can't frickin' figure it out. I'm an idiot.

On the Alpine Pro tweeters, is the wire with the white line positive or negative?

Is the white line usually positive? That's what I'm thinking.

Thanks.
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

I'd guess negative. Is polarity marked on the tweeter?
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

falkenbd wrote:I'd guess negative. Is polarity marked on the tweeter?
No, nothing is marked. I've checked the Alpine site and also the manual it came with... but no action'.

I found a sketch of other Alpine tweeters (online) that had the striped wire as negative. So, I hope they follow that route with every model. I'll go with stripe as negative.

Thanks man.
falkenbd
Senior Member
Posts: 932
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Post by falkenbd »

I've bought quite a few speakers that came with speaker wire. normally the striped is neg.

You're welcome
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

Run a phase check on it after its done.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Post by CaptainPioneer »

yea on the alpines the anything with the stripe is usually the negative.

How much for the tweets if thats ok to ask?

I would consider purchasing some alpine pro's for my truck since my highs have not been coming through the way I want with just comps.
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

I purchased the SPX-17PRO set for $200 or so less then retail at a local place. I'll find out today if that was too much.

I found a Digital Designs dealer in town and probably would have tried a set of those instead had I found him sooner. I dunno, guess I'll know soon enough.
User avatar
NorthQuad
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 8:00 am
Location: Alberta, Canada

Post by NorthQuad »

Well, must have been negative because they sound nice and crispy.
Tim
Master of My Domain
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:46 pm
Location: 1060 W. Addison

Post by Tim »

Generally speaking, a stripe on a wire is indicative of negative. Not always the case, though. I have seen the stripe be positive.

Tim
"The opinions expressed in the preceding post are purely an opinion and not meant to be used as a reference. So if you screw something up because of something I said I will not and can not be held responsible". Thank you for understanding.
Tim Strong
http://upscaleaudiodesigns.webs.com/
Email: [email protected]
X-box Live Gamertag:quad drpr
CaptainPioneer
Master of My Domain
Posts: 3389
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Monroe, CT
Contact:

Post by CaptainPioneer »

Well if you were to look at my system it would be the complete opposite. I use the line wire as positive all the time.
COR UNUM VIA UNA - Jay Chmura
Post Reply