Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

I think the alarm is preventing the starter from working

Post all your general car audio questions here.
KrisB410
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:25 am
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

I think the alarm is preventing the starter from working

Post by KrisB410 »

Hi all

I am really not familiar with car alarm/remote starters and how they are wired into the car. It's an 89 Camaro with a Crimestopper alarm from Circuit City. I replaced a relay which I believe is part of the starter kill wiring, but no change. Nothing happens when I turn the key or engage the remote start with the key fob. What I'm wondering, is can I easily disconnect the alarm system? Do the "brains" of these go bad? Or is it something on the car? Battery is fine, all other electrical things in the car work perfectly.

Thanks
Robert Wollenberg
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
Location: Abilene, Texas

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

Your starter relay sounds like it's messed up. It may have been wired bad from the start and just sorta fell apart on you or, who knows. I'm a bit of a ways from Baltimore, but if you're going to be headed to the DC area, let me know. I'll take a look at it for you.
Robert R. Wollenberg
Audio Alchemy, Owner
Phone: (325) 480-2790
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.audiochemy.com
www.abilenecaraudio.com
www.abilenecaralarms.com
FB: www.facebook.com/audio.alchemy
Ryan from Ohio
Posts: 13308
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2000 12:00 pm
Contact:

Post by Ryan from Ohio »

If you find the starter kill relay and look closely you will find out where its attached to the factory wiring. Its actually spliced inline.

Simply remove it and hook the two factory wires back together.

If it still wont start you have another issue.
-Ryan
www.caraudiocentral.net - Your #1 Car Audio Resource on the Net!
smoker
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:00 am
Location: florence, ky
Contact:

Post by smoker »

also a possibility they have the vats bypass programmed or wired incorrectly and the added resistance is causing the caar to think its being stolen
Robert Wollenberg
Posts: 1386
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:45 am
Location: Abilene, Texas

Post by Robert Wollenberg »

smoker wrote:also a possibility they have the vats bypass programmed or wired incorrectly and the added resistance is causing the caar to think its being stolen
They didn't put VATS in an 89 Camaro, did they?
Robert R. Wollenberg
Audio Alchemy, Owner
Phone: (325) 480-2790
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.audiochemy.com
www.abilenecaraudio.com
www.abilenecaralarms.com
FB: www.facebook.com/audio.alchemy
smoker
Master of My Domain
Posts: 4126
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:00 am
Location: florence, ky
Contact:

Post by smoker »

got a chip in the key? my ex wifes 89 did
KrisB410
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:25 am
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Post by KrisB410 »

I don't think it's the VATS system, because the security light on the dash acts normal, and when the VATS system is activated, the security light stays on. I can't start/move the car, it's actually been sitting a few months now. I will have to find where the system is spliced into the factory wires and see what happens.
Post Reply