by Jonathan » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:28 pm
A 11"x17"x13" box would be just under 1 cu ft. internal volume assuming that you used 3/4" MDF to build the box.
When choosing a sub, remember that there is a three-way relationship for what you choose. Low-frequency capability, box size, and efficiency are those three, and to increase any of the three, you have to give up something from the other two, with box size being the most sensitive. Since you want a small box, your SPL capability with a given amplifier power and your low bass performance will suffer to an extent. Best thing to do is to use the largest box you can live comfortably with, based on the performance you want. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.
There are some 12" subs that will work with that airspace sealed, but ported isn't an option with that airspace. Just off my head, one 12" sub that works very well with that airspace is the Image Dynamics IDQ 12". It isn't an SPL monster though, I wouldn't expect huge volume levels with it, it would simply offer authoritative depth and would fill in the low end nicely. If I were in your shoes (don't want to lose the hatchback at all) I'd use a single 12 since cancellation is such an issue with opposing sides and you simply can't squeek two 12s in a 1 cu ft box. For the sub, I'd choose an Adire Audio Brahma or Resonant Engineering XXX for subwoofer duties. Both are capable of working well in that amount of airspace and will provide solid SQ and SPL for your needs. In most cases one is enough. The Brahma is the more efficient sub, in the end the XXX gets a little louder, though.
As far as the components go, the Focal 165 V2s that you were looking at are a power set, punchy midbass and a stronger tweeter. They work well with rock. If I constantly listened to hard rock, I'd choose them over the others, if you wanted a smoother tonality for classical, jazz, etc. I'd go with the DLS and so on.
A 11"x17"x13" box would be just under 1 cu ft. internal volume assuming that you used 3/4" MDF to build the box.
When choosing a sub, remember that there is a three-way relationship for what you choose. Low-frequency capability, box size, and efficiency are those three, and to increase any of the three, you have to give up something from the other two, with box size being the most sensitive. Since you want a small box, your SPL capability with a given amplifier power and your low bass performance will suffer to an extent. Best thing to do is to use the largest box you can live comfortably with, based on the performance you want. It's a necessary evil, unfortunately.
There are some 12" subs that will work with that airspace sealed, but ported isn't an option with that airspace. Just off my head, one 12" sub that works very well with that airspace is the Image Dynamics IDQ 12". It isn't an SPL monster though, I wouldn't expect huge volume levels with it, it would simply offer authoritative depth and would fill in the low end nicely. If I were in your shoes (don't want to lose the hatchback at all) I'd use a single 12 since cancellation is such an issue with opposing sides and you simply can't squeek two 12s in a 1 cu ft box. For the sub, I'd choose an Adire Audio Brahma or Resonant Engineering XXX for subwoofer duties. Both are capable of working well in that amount of airspace and will provide solid SQ and SPL for your needs. In most cases one is enough. The Brahma is the more efficient sub, in the end the XXX gets a little louder, though.
As far as the components go, the Focal 165 V2s that you were looking at are a power set, punchy midbass and a stronger tweeter. They work well with rock. If I constantly listened to hard rock, I'd choose them over the others, if you wanted a smoother tonality for classical, jazz, etc. I'd go with the DLS and so on.