Attention all members!
Have a cool ride? Then show it off on our website! All vehicles welcome!

I think the alarm is preventing the starter from working

Post a reply

Confirmation code
Enter the code exactly as it appears. All letters are case insensitive.
Smilies
:awesome: :argh :ditto :inout :words :bow :cheers: :bigwink: :fing02: :sad017: :scorp: :o :D ;) :p :unwell028 :tongue017 :thumbsup :surprised :sm29: :angry011: :angry015: :angry012: :nono: :angry010: :nono :banghead :mad: :dif :angry :CRZ_13: :eek: :confused: :confused0 :confused :( :sad: :cool: :dance :mecry: :jesterlol :embarrass :flame: :doh :evil019: :evil001: :rolleyes: :sub:
View more smilies

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: I think the alarm is preventing the starter from working

by KrisB410 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:15 am

I don't think it's the VATS system, because the security light on the dash acts normal, and when the VATS system is activated, the security light stays on. I can't start/move the car, it's actually been sitting a few months now. I will have to find where the system is spliced into the factory wires and see what happens.

by smoker » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:52 pm

got a chip in the key? my ex wifes 89 did

by Robert Wollenberg » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:27 pm

smoker wrote:also a possibility they have the vats bypass programmed or wired incorrectly and the added resistance is causing the caar to think its being stolen
They didn't put VATS in an 89 Camaro, did they?

by smoker » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:30 am

also a possibility they have the vats bypass programmed or wired incorrectly and the added resistance is causing the caar to think its being stolen

by Ryan from Ohio » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:13 am

If you find the starter kill relay and look closely you will find out where its attached to the factory wiring. Its actually spliced inline.

Simply remove it and hook the two factory wires back together.

If it still wont start you have another issue.

by Robert Wollenberg » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:34 pm

Your starter relay sounds like it's messed up. It may have been wired bad from the start and just sorta fell apart on you or, who knows. I'm a bit of a ways from Baltimore, but if you're going to be headed to the DC area, let me know. I'll take a look at it for you.

I think the alarm is preventing the starter from working

by KrisB410 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi all

I am really not familiar with car alarm/remote starters and how they are wired into the car. It's an 89 Camaro with a Crimestopper alarm from Circuit City. I replaced a relay which I believe is part of the starter kill wiring, but no change. Nothing happens when I turn the key or engage the remote start with the key fob. What I'm wondering, is can I easily disconnect the alarm system? Do the "brains" of these go bad? Or is it something on the car? Battery is fine, all other electrical things in the car work perfectly.

Thanks

Top