Page 1 of 1

Separating a Component Set

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:01 pm
by NorthQuad
As in taking a two-way set, putting the tweeters up front near my previously installed components and installing the mids in the rear doors by themselves. Is this just a dumb idea? Would it just sound like farts?

I'd like to add more strength to what I already have up front without cutting panels. I'm really hesitating to install components in the rear doors, even though that's almost my last option. As you all know, it takes away much of that front stage effect. Should I just go with tweeters up front and forget the mids in the rear doors altogether?

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:42 pm
by JeremyC
A second set of tweeters in the front would be great for raising the sound stage, or adding some extra shimmer, but its not going to get you were you want to be. You want more output, and that requires cone area.

LOL I'm going to say it again (3 way) but I know you don't want to cut into your factory panels.

Hey why don't you go buy a new set of panels, and put them away some where. Then you can cut the ones you have now up as much as you want, and just put the new ones in, if you don't like it?

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:45 pm
by JeremyC
As for putting the mids in the doors, and tweets in the front. It could work, but both sets of comp will need to be hooked to your front rca line out. If you plan on running the second set of comps off the rear out don't do it. The tweeter will conflict big time with the front stage.

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:29 pm
by NorthQuad
JeremyC wrote:A second set of tweeters in the front would be great for raising the sound stage, or adding some extra shimmer, but its not going to get you were you want to be. You want more output, and that requires cone area.

LOL I'm going to say it again (3 way) but I know you don't want to cut into your factory panels.

Hey why don't you go buy a new set of panels, and put them away some where. Then you can cut the ones you have now up as much as you want, and just put the new ones in, if you don't like it?
I'll check out the prices on replacement panels. If they're reasonable, I'll probably go for it. If I did go for a decent 3 way, I'd be saving for a while, I think anyway.

I was looking at the Infinity components and also just the tweeter by itself. The tweeter itself is more in my budget at this time. So, I might just have to make due with that upgrade for now.
JeremyC wrote:As for putting the mids in the doors, and tweets in the front. It could work, but both sets of comp will need to be hooked to your front rca line out. If you plan on running the second set of comps off the rear out don't do it. The tweeter will conflict big time with the front stage.
Right, I will definitely make sure to run the front rca line out to both sets. Thanks a bunch, Jeremy.

Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:52 pm
by JeremyC
You could always build your own. Just stick with the 2 way you have now, and add a dedicated mid bass.

You can get raw drivers on madisound, or parts express for pretty cheap.

I don't know why i didn't think of this before.

You could even do a dedicated mid bass in the rear door instead of a comp set. Hell that would save you a hundred bucks right of the start.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:14 pm
by Jonathan
2.5 way ;)

Basically, supplementing with an additional midbass, mainly covering frequencies said driver would struggle with. Typically done in home audio to deal with baffle step, but in a car this could be made to work as well. Use the 2nd midbass to help in the "power" range, to around 300hz or so. Better output, fewer issues with imaging because you only have one driver doing midrange duty. You could run it off a rear channel, wouldn't really need an exotic crossover either a simple inline 6db/oct would likely do it to your fancy, 12db would work too.