Page 1 of 2

Unwanted Bass Noise

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:49 pm
by Minorthreat412
Hi,

I've installed my sound system in my car and I've been getting this bass noise that comes whenever I press any buttons, turn volume all the way down, when i turn the radio on/start the car, and also it makes bass noise when it's reading the cd.

It doesn't do this when my amp is not hooked up.

I hooked my RCA's up to another cars radio and it worked fine.

When I push my radio into the dash i hear a thump/pop of bass.

I hear alot from other people saying its the radio itself.

Others say that its the grounding.

I'm going to buy a loop ground isolator. any opinions?

Thanx everyone,
Chad

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:49 pm
by JeremyC
Hay chad pull out your radio, check the wires, and redo the ground. I have a feeling your problem lies in those areas, as others have voiced too. I don't think a ground lope isolater is needed, and would be a waist of money.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:01 pm
by Scarrell
Chad, this is a common problem in car audio.. this is called "altenator wine".. usually the problem is the ground.... make sure you sand away the paint on your grounding point to bare metal.. for more information please use the search option and type in "altenator wine" or something similair.... or please browse the Car Audio section, you may find other usefull information.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:41 pm
by JeremyC
Scarrell, isn't altenator wine normally high pitched, and change with rpm. I agree it is caused by bad grounds, but pushing buttons on the radio, or sliding it into place?

I agree its a wiring problem, but I disagree with the altenator wine theory.

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:13 pm
by Scarrell
there may be wires touching, or wires touching metal....... reading it again.. are you talking about when you turn it on it makes a quick boom from the subs?

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:38 am
by Ryan from Ohio
I would start off by putting a new ground in for the Head Unit.

Some radios produce a sound while reading CDs. It is very low and only audible when turned WAY up. This isnt to uncommon.

I would 99.9% likely say by redoing the ground this problem should go away. If it doesnt then I would start looking into the Head Unit itself.

A ground loop isolator wont help you a bit here.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:59 pm
by Minorthreat412
Scarrell wrote:there may be wires touching, or wires touching metal....... reading it again.. are you talking about when you turn it on it makes a quick boom from the subs?

yeah, when i turn the radio on and off it makes a quick boom.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:00 pm
by Minorthreat412
Thank you everybody

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:07 pm
by Scarrell
ok. it may be the RCA's...

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:11 pm
by Minorthreat412
We've tryed different RCA's and it was the same

I redid the ground and redid the wiring from the HU to the GM harness perfectly.

The ground is directly connected to the frame now.

I'm going to go get one of those wiring kits for hooking up an amp. I'm thinking that maybe the remote wire has something to do with it. Anyone have any advice on what to get? brand?

Lastly, I'll go to my brothers house and hook up his radio to mine and see if its different. If it is....I'm not buy pioneer anymore.

My car originally had bose speakers. Has anyone with bose speakers had this problem?

Thank you everyone.