Page 1 of 1

dvc subs

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:22 pm
by qlc1964
hey fellas!!! i got a ?
can you take two mono amps and wire each one to the voice coil?
will it play with no problem? just something to pick yah minds....
:sub:

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:29 pm
by Purple RS
I don't see a problem with that as long as you don't put too much power to the sub, but these guys here are the experts. When I bought my Memphis MOJO, I was given some similar info. The 15" 15-MOJO15Q1 will take a 1000 watt mono amp on each one of 4 (1 ohm) voice coils.

I've got the 12" dual 2 ohm and decided that parallel connection was enough for me, besides, I only have room for the one amp :)

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:58 pm
by JeremyC
yes you can do it, but both amps have to be identical, and you have to match the gain of both amps PERFECTLY.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:49 am
by cargodz
Matching the gains is a MUST! so you'll definately need to bust out the dmm.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:16 am
by William from NOLA
Yea, and just leaving them all the way up or all the way down doesn't cut it. DMM!

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:41 am
by Bwcad1
you really need to use a clamp and a dmm to make sure you have them matched a DMM just isnt good enough itself when doing that.

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:29 am
by cargodz
And if you don't mind me asking... Why would you want to? Are you actually using 1 single sub that requires that much power?
Just curious :)

Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:45 pm
by qlc1964
:inout nah i don`t it was a ? i thought of asking on here.
Let`s use this example
you have 2 900 rms mono amps and you decide to get one high price sub
to replace the ones you have you can't afford but one $400.00 sub
that handle 2000 rms of power so working with what you have instead
of trying to sell them and start over.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:42 am
by Bwcad1
ive done it its really not that bad just make sure you gain match. and not just with a dmm to check voltage. your current could be off as your coils will have slightly diffrent impedances. which changes your Voltage and current. which is y im a firm believe in using both dmm and clamp to set gains.

Posted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:29 pm
by cargodz
^True... but sometimes I forget that not everybody has a meter with a clamp like yours and mine :p lol

Although I do have a cheap lil Harbor Freight dmm too, but don't normally use it... Heck half the time I can't even find it LOL