Page 1 of 2

Sub wiring

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47 am
by Robert Wollenberg
ok, first of all, I feel stoopid even asking this question. I should know the answer to it and once someone says it I'll feel even more stoopider I'm sure.

Anyway, my question deals with the wiring of two dual voice coil subs. Why does it sound better when you wire each subs VCs in parallel and then series the two subs together rather then series each subs VCs and parallel the subs together?

Someone brought up this question on another board and I knew the answer to it, but it's escaping me. :( Help me out!

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:24 am
by Bwcad1
i disagree that it sounds better so i wont answer.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:52 am
by Robert Wollenberg
Well, better or worse, but it does sound different. Or am I the only one who hears a difference?

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:50 am
by Bwcad1
i think you might be goin crazy man lol Ive had many diffrent wiring setups and have never ever noticed an audible difference other than volume.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:58 am
by solacedagony
Yea, I really doubt it makes it sound different, outside of you THINKING it sounds different. Only one way to find out though :)

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:49 am
by Ryan from Ohio
No way it should sound different.

And ohm is an ohm no matter how its wired.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:25 pm
by falkenbd
would they still have the same total load? if the load changes, I think the FR curve might change. Can anyone comment on that?

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:48 pm
by Ryan from Ohio
if your comparing a 4 Ohm sub on an amp vs a 2 Ohm sub sure there is difference.

But the same subs wire 2 different ways to achieve the same load will show no diffrence.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:00 pm
by Bwcad1
that diffrence in the freqency curve will be minimal and most likely not
audible.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:25 pm
by cargodz
The only way I'd see there being a noticable difference is if you had the same amp running in 4 ohm or 1 ohm... Obviously the amp should be capable of more power at 1 ohm and should be louder... But as far as an amp that say does 1000w rms @ 4 ohm and one that does 1000w rms @ 1 ohm there wouldn't be enough of a difference to tell.